how to play .wma?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I think it does play them. I don't have wma files right here though.. can somebody confirm that?

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

how to play .wma?

Post by nick »

Audiokonverter, should convert wma to any format you require, http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=12608 It is called soundkonverter in Synaptic
Synaptic/Search/soundkonverter, add

Also if you add xmms you can add xmms-wma plugin to xmms,both in Synaptic, to play wma.(also many more plugins for xmms)
Do not have any wma files so cannot test. but but worked last time I tried them - Nick
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

In Bea, you can just double click the .wma song and it plays automatically. You don't need to add anything.

I'm not sure about Barbara (I don't have it installed right now) but I guess it's the same.

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Can somebody confirm that ? I'm running BETA 025 so I'm not exactly sure about that. It works for me though.

Does your sound work fine? Does mplayer use gstreamer/alsa ? Did you try to play that song in amarok ?

Clem
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi all, I have "found" some wma files, they play fine in Mplayer, and Xmms with xmms-wma installed, They also play in Amarok Noatun and Kaffeine -I have KDE installed, They do Not play in Mplayer if you attemt to play them from external source, i.e.usb flash or usb disc.
I have found this with all Linux distros.

To get xmms-wma you need to have the PLF repositories enabled in Synaptic, Clem did you put them in (the PLF repositories) because I cannot remember adding them?

Also Clem, lame does not seem to be added in the default distro?

Soundkonverter does not seem to work. but
Audiokonverter does, it is added to the right click menu on KDE, so if you right click on file you get choice, "convert to mp3, wave, ogg" etc etc,
From the website:
"It needs oggenc, oggdec, faac, faad, flac, mplayer and lame to work."

Distro Linux Mint Bea - Thanks for the fine work Clem and all
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,
Also Clem, lame does not seem to be added in the default distro?
Support for MP3 is one thing. A lot of people have been vendor-locked by the Franhaufer Institute and now have all their songs in that format. That doesn't mean we should encourage people encoding in that format though.

I can understand why you need to play MP3 songs, but if you need to encode then I would strongly recommend you use OGG instead.

This is open for discussion of course, but it's the main reason why lame wasn't included.

Clem
nick
Level 5
Level 5

how to play .wma?

Post by nick »

"Support for MP3 is one thing. A lot of people have been vendor-locked by the Franhaufer Institute and now have all their songs in that format. That doesn't mean we should encourage people encoding in that format though."

Fair point Clem, I agree - Thanks, Nick

Return to “Sound”