Why not advetise (banner) on Distrowatch

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Rob Brill

Why not advetise (banner) on Distrowatch

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi Everybody,

Uncle Mark and Canonical( Ubuntu 9.04 release) + Red Hat Enterprise (Fedora 10 release) have
been advertising brutally on Distrowatch. - Banner on home page top.

= Sign of Times - Linux Mint 7 "Gloria"

Hoaxes of a War between Canonical and (Fedora) Red Hat Enterprise. ???

I don't know how much is the cost to have a Linux Mint 7 banner on Distrowatch on home page top.
If the price is high, so this may be skipped. Better show popularity and competence without any
money out. In this case money available may be saved to the development (itself) of Linux Mint future releases.

Best
Roberto :wink:
FedoraRefugee

Re: Why not advetise (banner) on Distrowatch

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Why is everyone so bloody intent on distrowatch? Sheesh, you'd think the rankings actually MEAN something! They do not! It is a silly preoccupation. Mint obviously does not need to advertise because they hit number 1 in the rankings the other day and are usually near the top, which simply means they have the most hits from that one site. Maybe I should spend my day with Tor hitting Arch or something, maybe I can drive it up a few notches...

Meanwhile, Mint 7 rocks. I will spend my time enjoying it as I want to test drive F11 when it releases.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Take it easy

Fedora 11 is coming soon

Mint Promotional Materials
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=884

Best
Roberto :wink:
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Yeah, sorry. I did not see the call for promotional ideas until after I answered your thread. I explained my response here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=163&t=26899
You might want to start by moving this thread to this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=26851

I was a bit negative in that thread but it is not towards the idea of advertising, rather towards the distrowatch preoccupation many seem to hold. "OMG, we are number 1! Woo hoo..."
I just have a thing against all the distrowatch fanboys, there is so much made of the rankings and most people do not realize that they just represent how many hits that distro gets, it has nothing to do with installation or usage.

However you have a good idea, a banner ad surely couldnt hurt.

I will bug off and let all the artsy fartsy types get down to work. I wish you all well, I think getting the message that there is an easy alternative to MS out to the general public is a good thing.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

IMHO: advertising is not worth it, and the popularity of AdvanceBlockPlus proves it.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

SO, FedoraRefugee - how about a <constructive> way of finding stats that show just where Linux stands in the world of O/Ss.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”