Firefox and Opera and Xorg are ending with segfault

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
svgt
Level 2
Level 2

Firefox and Opera and Xorg are ending with segfault

Post by svgt »

Hello,

I am using the Mint Gloria with Gnome. The system is on the newest update level. After some minutes with Firefox or Opera the browsers end without any message. The browsers are doing in this way for about two days. In which log-file I could find a hint for this disappearing?

The first time a normal user session ended abrupt. The user-login started with login-page.

I think there is a link between these two sorts of crashes?

in messages I found these errors:

May 31 23:52:01 hans-desktop kernel: [ 2878.275773] opera[4772]: segfault at 143b3029 ip 08163810 sp bfcd3170 error 4 in opera[8048000+aa8000]

May 31 23:58:15 hans-desktop kernel: [ 3252.490772] Xorg[2636]: segfault at e8ef1b50 ip 080d8832 sp bf981130 error 5 in Xorg[8048000+19d000]

Regards,
Svgt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beth

Re: Firefox and Opera and Xorg are ending with segfault

Post by beth »

I'm also having problems with Firefox crashing on the new final Gloria. The crashes were so frequent I finally had to put a different operating system on the computer just to use the internet. I had downloaded Firefox updates, and that really made it bad. Also, the tabs and back arrow disappeared.

I did not have this problem with Gloria RC1.

These crashes never give any error messages. It's always -- poof -- and suddenly for no apparent reason there's no longer an internet connection and I'm suddenly back on my home page. Then oddly when I log back on the internet, I get a message that it's already running and asks if I want the previous connection restored or a new connection made.

I do a lot of work with Boinc and it crashed using Firefox on the new Gloria, and then wouldn't connect to the university network. It really seems like the packages and program installs and updates really aren't very good on this new final version of Gloria. The Gloria RC 1 worked so well for me it looks like I need to reload and use it.

Beth
Jess

Re: Firefox and Opera and Xorg are ending with segfault

Post by Jess »

I'm also experiencing problems with both Opera and Firefox after upgrading from 6 (Felicia) to 7 (Gloria). Short after opening the browsers, all from 5-20 minutes, the computer freezes, and I have no other choice than force it to shut it down by physical pressing the switch off button.

I don't really know where to start problem searching, or what to do to make it go all away - all I know it's not much fun in the long run. Hopefully some smart ones have a solution for it.

Return to “Software & Applications”