ntfs and twinview - again :-)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Yes you can have your projector to do 1280x1024 but that will require you to manually change the xorg.conf file and set each monitor to the desired resolution.

you cant have mint disk and fstab manage the ntfs disks.
dont put them in the fstab.
I should check this myself as i have seen a few posts about it.

maybe a search of the forums...

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

check out this post for ntfs stuff.
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... tfs&t=1655

:D
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

could you post your xorg.conf file?

the twinview may be expecting both monitors to be the same so it only needs to reference one monitor for its specs.

:)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Make sure to check the content of the mintdisk log file in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintDisk/mintDisk.log it should tell you what went wrong.

Also in /etc/fstab you need to DELETE (not just comment out) all references to ntfs partitions and occurences of these partition names. Because mintdisk doesn't care whether it's commented out or not, and it won't mount:
- partitions which name appear in fstab (even as a comment)
- partitions that are already mounted
- external partitions

If you really can't make mintdisk work you can install ntfs-config, it will also work with external drives but it's not as configurable and just acts as a configuration frontend to fstab.

Clem

Return to “Beginner Questions”