my life of "distros"

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mitsuzero

my life of "distros"

Post by mitsuzero »

my life in linux started some years ago, when i buy a pc computing magazine, contains a CD titled Corel Linux, im courious (it started 20 years ago!)hmm i decided to install in the machine was i have in the year of 97 (the pc has a windows 95), but fail completely, because i was (and im) noobish, the install was fine and correctly but never start the bar maked a loop and loop. i decided to format and rnstal windows 98
Specs of the machine in the time (a HP workstation PI 166 Mhz 64 RAM and 2 x 10 Gb DD, i added a cache ram 32)
in 2000 i go to shop a CD (pirated, LOL of windows ME), one person gave me a CDs of powerpack mandrake - if i remember correctly- the number of CD was 6, if my first try without fail, and the version was 7 and dont remember is some numbers was after dot, but i dont have a sound, the machine was in my PC about 4 months and i decided to install windows ME, because of some errors(i dont know . how call to help - i mean go forums or questioning about )
Specs (celeron 350, 128 RAM , 20Gb DD, CD ROM)
in 2002(i think) i contract DSL Internet connection and have to download a copy of mandrake 9 , and install it, i came to see glorious, all was functioning fine not have problems at all. but i cannot work with office, and go to install windows xp
Specs: AMD k6-2 450Mhz 128 RAM 10 Gb DD.
in 2005 */* present i installed various distribution of linux
1, Mandriva: sucks i dont know how to people can work with it,i pay for platinum but when i requested support i was shouted out. i cancelled my subscription to it and deleted it and install a Suse Distro, the distro have a nice view but again i dont know how to ask, every time is the same - search in another place and dont questioning about. yes i made a query but i dont obtain a good result and go open an new topic and runs out of it but they do not work to help
2. then install Debian but many many packets to configure i decided to stop the installation and go another place and get a ubuntu i go with it 6 months i need to programming .net and the mono projects was green and i decided to install windows ( i was in the university) .
3. i need to get my mind out of **** an only use windows when do programming .net, and installed a ubuntu it was work great i signed up in "espacio linux" and i get good orientation to get ride out the problems.
4. i probed PC linux , many Spanish university distros, Sabayon, ciberlinux,OZos, 2 distros BR, Fedora, mandrakebut the distro i like so much is my recent finding
i enter in distrowatch because i need to find a nice newly window user , to my cafe internet, i was download over a 13 or 20 distros, but nothing was my selection for it.
my PC is functioning properly no big problems.
actually i download a BRNIX but i dont like it),and Sabayon and i like but not more than linux mint, i dont install the Distros( installed in one PC to people,the pcs have a mix of linux, but for my use ...linuxmint!.
IM very happy with LINUX MINT!!!!!!
no windows! no more , i decided to said .... welcome Freedom,
and What is your history?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: my life of "distros"

Post by exploder »

I won't go through all of the different machines I have had because I used to rebuild my computer all of the time! I started out running Windows 3.1 and went all of the way up to XP. I played around with Caldara and Mandrake but there was always somthing that did not work. My Wife went to the library one day and brought home the book "Point and Click Linux" because she knew I had an interest in Linux. The book still had the Simply Mepis Live CD in it. The more I read the more I wanted to install Mepis and try it out. Well, I installed it and have been a full time Linux user ever since.

When Mepis switched to a Ubuntu base I started having problems... K3b breaking all the time was the final straw and I distro hopped for a long time. I saw a screen shot of an early version of Mint with the Mint menu. I tried it out but had some problems. I thought to myself, these guys are on the right track and I am going to keep an eye on this distro. The next version of Mint I tried ran great and I have been a Mint user ever since!

For me Mint made Gnome appealing! I had used Fedora Core for a while so I was familiar with Gnome but I never really liked the menu and the two panel layout, it just looked primitive to me. Mint was trying to make Gnome appealing and user friendly. I already knew how to install all of the codecs from using other distros, so that was not a amke or break decision for me. Mint was coming up with their own tools and working on things that I thought were lacking in other distros and this appealed to me.

I still look at lots of different distros, sometimes I see something that interests me but Mint has always been my choice of operating system for my main machine. The Mint forum has always felt like home too. We have a lot of nice people here and the forum has a relaxed atmosphere to it. There aren't a dozen moderators deleting and moving posts and the Mint Team is an honest group of people that enjoy what they do. The best of everything Linux is right here!
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

exploder wrote:I still look at lots of different distros, sometimes I see something that interests me but Mint has always been my choice of operating system for my main machine. The Mint forum has always felt like home too. We have a lot of nice people here and the forum has a relaxed atmosphere to it. There aren't a dozen moderators deleting and moving posts and the Mint Team is an honest group of people that enjoy what they do. The best of everything Linux is right here!

i feel the same, in other forums, they deleted ur post, because, they dont have the correct answer , or simply to said your question is stupid and here dont want it..
in here if the moderator, dont have time (i know the world not turn only in linux) or dont have the correct answer other people , can make it, its great, stay here and feel the correct freedom ... sorry if u dont understood my english, im mexican and dont know the english very well. :oops:
Note: if i put the previous text in google translator , some parts said : "casa de moneda" or house of coin >>>the word is mistraslated is mint.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

mitsuzero, your english is 100% better than my spanish! :D I understand what you are saying just fine. It sounds like you and I have had some similar experiences.
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

exploder wrote:mitsuzero, your english is 100% better than my spanish! :D I understand what you are saying just fine. It sounds like you and I have had some similar experiences.
i think more people get "stuck" in Mint because the real people behind it.... in other forum i cant put my problem because is other language that i dont understand..
many distros.
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

LOL.... :)
trident

Post by trident »

exploder wrote: For me Mint made Gnome appealing! I had used Fedora Core for a while so I was familiar with Gnome but I never really liked the menu and the two panel layout, it just looked primitive to me. Mint was trying to make Gnome appealing and user friendly.
I'd feel exactly the same. When I first started trying distros I preferred KDE-based ones because I didn't like the GNOME layout. But what Mint, and to a lesser extent openSUSE have done with GNOME has won me over and I now consider myself to be a GNOME user.

My distro-life? My brother ordered an Ubuntu CD on a whim and I tried it out. It didn't work, but inspired me to try other distibutions, most of which, being Ubuntu-based, also didn't work. But the Mint XFCE edition worked fine and so I Mint4Win'd it and started using it quite a lot. I also discovered Virtualbox (well my brother introduced me to it again... yet he continues to use Vista) and shad stocked it with all sorts by this point, as a substitute for my computer's seeming inability to run Live CDs. Eventually I found that distributions based on Ubuntu 8.04 worked fine, so this being an LTS release I decided to wipe Windows and install Elyssa. But I ran into fglrx problems and so tried a dual-boot with openSUSE. I then tried to tweak my partitions so SUSE had more space as I was intending to use it more often than my slightly broken Mint, but this failed and so I reinstalled SUSE with the whole disc. But the inconveniences of openSUSE made me realise how I missed Mint, and I tried to see if using the alternate Ubuntu CD in place of a live CD would work. So I set up a dual-boot with Jaunty, but still couldn't boot into it.

Basically I then filled this second partition with various distros (at one point I had a triple-boot doing with openSUSE, Mandriva and PCLOS-GNOME) until I had the idea of booting without my wireless card as I had found a thread that suggested it could be causing my boot problems. It worked, and I now have Gloria and openSUSE dual-booting. I have a laptop on order, arriving Wednesday, which I am going to do a full Gloria install on (and stay well away from fglrx... had I known how much trouble it was I would have refused to buy another machine with a Radeon, although I hear Intel graphics have problems too, and the Nvidia laptops are out of my price range). Then transfer my data to the laptop, and probably wipe openSUSE with a fresh install of Gloria on my desktop too. But I'm anticipating Mint 8, as maybe by then the open-source Radeon driver will be 3d-capable with the two R600-series cards I will have, as I hear this is currently being worked on now ATI have released some more information.
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

syred wrote:Ok guys, don't judge a distro from its official forum, i mean, mint is mint, it rocks, and the developers are mind readers, what else do you want? :P
he... and your history?
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

trident wrote: My distro-life? My brother ordered an Ubuntu CD on a whim and I tried it out. It didn't work,
I forget to said, i used two or three time the ubuntu ship-it program, its amazing, when you can gift the cd to various people, i received ten Cd's, then i pass it to my friends in the university. :)
lexon

Post by lexon »

Operated PDP-8I mini computer at a NASA facility using model 35 teletype from 1973 to 1984 that ran PAL, Program Assembly Language. Used paper tapes also. What a horrible span of years. During that time, wasted a lot of time messing with a Trash 80.
Acquired Clone PC, 386, 25mhz, in 1995 running DOS and then W3.1 from my stepson.
From 1995 to 2000 maintained PC's running W3.11 that controlled paper slitting machines.
During that time my stepson gave me a PB 60 MHz Pentium with W3.1. Installed W98SE.
In 2002 purchased a new PC running W98SE.
In 12/3003 purchased a new PC running Lindows 4.0 to minimize heartburn while learning Linux. Best thing I ever purchased. Having a reliable PC with working OS is recommended when starting to learn to use Linux.
Just purchased a new Acer laptop with Vista Basic. Purchased new identical hard drive to install Mint 7 on. Two screws to remove and drive is easily replace. My Way. If I sell the PC, Vista will be available for new user. Again, my way.
The Linux path is below.

lexon
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

lexon, you have been into computers for quite some time! I had one of those same Packard Bell machines you described! That Packard Bell inspired me to build my own for years! I used to be able to buy parts at computer fairs and build my own machine for about a third of the cost of buying a machine already built, those were the days!
lexon

Post by lexon »

Hello exploder

I still have the PB. I use W98SE to read and reset a CarChip I use in my Ford F150 4 X 4 to monitor the sensors. The device plugs into the ODB II port. The CarChip requires a serial port and Windows. I do not have the W98SE CD anymore so I keep the stand alone PC in the basement of the house.
Linux is all I use right now.
I stopped going to PC shows in my area at least five years ago. There is so much available on the 'Net today.
I still modify my two PC's which where almost bare bones, usually power supply, case, integrated mobo, minimal RAM, CD reader. I add burner, Firewire PCI card, wireless PCI card, max out RAM, hard drive racks to easily swap hard drives. Better CPU fan, extra case fan. It slowly adds up but is fun to upgrade. Both desktops near the same. Both also need a USB 2.0 PCI card.
My newest PC is a Acer 5515 laptop with Vista basic. No serial port though I could get a serial to USB adapter. The identical drive should be here to day to install Mint 7 Main Edition.

Lexon
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

lexon wrote: I still have the PB. I use W98SE to read and reset a CarChip I use in my Ford F150 4 X 4 to monitor the sensors. The device plugs into the ODB II port. The CarChip requires a serial port and Windows. I do not have the W98SE CD anymore so I keep the stand alone PC in the basement of the house.
Linux is all I use right now.
WOW...
you can Make a museum ....... :) ..... get paid to other see it.... (i must said, i dont pretend to make a bad joke or misjudged your!!)
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

yeah, I'm thinking USB-Serial adapter, Virtualbox w/ a bootleg copy of an old version of Windows, and you can permenantly retire that old PB.
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

ha!no! no way! its useless...... can u undone ur comment... ( :lol: )
is the best choice to reduce the number of PC's in your house ......but one man who loves PC's than Woman..... dont exist.... :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

Collecting PCs is a much more relaxing and sustainable hobby than collecting women. Women all tend to be proprietary, not open source. Compatibility and software issues can never seem to be resolved satisfactorily for any length of time. High maintenance is the norm and updating your collection is never a smooth, glitch-free task. :-)

Fred
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

My Linux journey started about five or six years ago with Knoppix trying to rescue some vital info for my wife off an old Win95 laptop that got virus.

Next was Xubuntu on an old (c.2000) iBook G3 (now just runing OSX -- the dual boot kept fsking up and I ended up just wiping the Linux partition in frustration.)

I've tried Debian and various *buntu flavours in virtual machines or from live CDs.

I had Ubuntu Dapper (IIRC) as my first full-time Linux, but never used the box much (long story).

I tried fedora for a while in a VM, wasn't mad keen.

I found Mint Felicia just in time to install it on this laptop; I was looking for a distro to replace the Vista it came with (and I have completely removed Vista -- even the Windows sticker :lol: -- from the machine).

Did a fresh install to move to Gloria, just for the sake of it really; I'm sure an update would have been sufficient :mrgreen:

In support of Fred's point, my wife says "how did a computer geek like you get to be with an attractive woman like me?" :mrgreen:
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

Fred wrote:Collecting PCs is a much more relaxing and sustainable hobby than collecting women. Women all tend to be proprietary, not open source. Compatibility and software issues can never seem to be resolved satisfactorily for any length of time. High maintenance is the norm and updating your collection is never a smooth, glitch-free task. :-)

Fred
U re all right fred....
the perfect girl are a bunch of pc..... they made want we want... but anyway and anytime they go crazy.....
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

the forum have more users ..... but none of them want to involved in this post...xD
urosg3

Post by urosg3 »

Hmm, lets see, my first real computer was a XT machine with DOS, then Win 3.1, Win95 and great step forward Macintosh with OS 8.6 (this G3 B&W PPC still running with Debian), and finally last Win PC Xp. In Serbia, users have no problem finding pirate copy of any OS, applications, as you see. Two years a go, I buy some popular PC magazine with Ubuntu 6.06 installation CD i small but intuitive tutorial "How to?" inside and i give a chance to Linux... Wow, great stuff! So, during a time, a left behind any other OS and switch to Linux, Ubuntu, then Dreamlinux, Ubuntu 7.10, cp6linux (based on Ubuntu, Serbian distro, managed by community, supported by government) 8.04, and finally Mint 7.

Return to “Chat about Linux”