Amarok no sound (Linux Mint Main Edition) Updated.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedWagon

Re: Amarok no sound (Linux Mint Main Edition) Updated.

Post by RedWagon »

Hey, this fixed my problem too! I usually use a USB headset, but occasionally use HDA Intel to use my stereo. I hadn't really looked into a fix because I don't use it that much, but I removed pulseaudio and now everything works.
If you remove pulseaudio and nothign works, go into your volume controls and make sure everything is turned up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
adamt222
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Amarok no sound (Linux Mint Main Edition) Updated.

Post by adamt222 »

Hi, I think I had a similar problem after upgrading from Mint 6 to Mint 7 Main Edition.
I ran a clean install from iso, and since my /home was its own partition, document loss wasn't a concern.

However, I noticed that each time I rebooted the system, the sound would come back muted. When I shut down
I had just finished using AMAROK and nothing was muted then. After reboot and launching Amarok,
I'd have to open the GNOME Volume control applet and "un-mute" PCM in order to get audio out.
Doing this on each reboot became quite a chore. I even chose the GNOME session once or twice,
to find the speaker icon muted, un-mute it, then log out so I could use an Openbox or ICEWM session.
Result: more of the same. Sound would work fine until reboot, then it would mute PCM.

Following the advice a few posts above, I used Synaptic to do a "Complete Removal" of "pulseaudio".
Only pulseaudio ; not the handful of other pulseaudio-related files within Synaptic.

Now, the volume "sticks" or stays just where I left it. Joy!

If this helps, all other sound card preferences/sound preferences are left at their default values.

Good luck,
Adam

Return to “Beginner Questions”