Audio in Mint 7 Gloria

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
draceena

Audio in Mint 7 Gloria

Post by draceena »

Hi all

I have upgraded to Mint 7, installed inside windows. I am attempting to configure my audio settings with only partial succuess. I have a SB Live Audio Card CT4830 and it seems to work alright. There are just so many settings in the sound area, as well as in the Volume control that it makes it really hard to set it up.

I am hoping to set up my microphone so it will work with sound recorder and Audacity. There are 2 problems I am facing

1) When I want to record from my microphone I must turn my volume down or I get feedback. In the playback area of the volume control, I have muted the mic but it seems to make no difference. As to the settings in Control Center > Sounds, I am still not sure how to configure it as there are simply so may settings there that it gets confusing pretty fast as to what settings to use.

As for when I do get recordings, in many cases, it simply sounds like I'm underwater. I am only able to get a good sounding recording of my voice occasionally. I am not using a USB mic, but a simple PC Labtec Microphone.

I was also able to record a little audio to Audacity, but the single was very weak. I am hoping to find someone here who has some expertise in this area. My PC is an HP Compaq EVO D510 CMT and I do have an installed sound card. My concern is that perhaps Mint is seeing my onboard audio card? I also have a Logitech Quickcam Communicate Deluxe Camera and I am hoping to get sound and video working there as well.

I have installed cheese, but picture is quite poor and I have not managed to record with any sound yet. Is this a case of my audio card being to old or that it is not well supported? Are there any settings I need to make to improve performance? Is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

Looking for help from some experts here and I appreciate any help you can pass along. Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Audio in Mint 7 Gloria

Post by Husse »

Yes there are many settings for sound
If you look at them you'll see that they are for each device and pulse audio or ALSA for both
This gives you great possibilities to adjust but is rather confusing
I don't really know what to do - this feels very much as a case where I want to have hands on
You might find a way to turn off the built in sound card in BIOS
For the webcam run lsusb (l i s a lower case L) in a terminal and post here
The ID you find + variations of Linux may give a solution in google

Return to “Hardware Support”