Soundcards

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Soundcards

Post by kenwood1995 »

From a newbie.
I have a new installation of Mint and got most everything working OK
I have the following soundcards showing when I open the volume control from the icon in the taskbar.
VIA8237 (disabled in bios but still showing in mixer)
Ensoniq Audio PCI
C Media USB Headset
Via Technologies (OSS Mixer)
I use the Ensoniq and the C Media USB, they work fine.
However, everytime I shut down or reboot the computer, the designations of each one changes.
What was dsp0 will change to something else, eg dsp2
and the others do likewise.
A real nuisance, can I stop this other than operating 24/7/365 ?

Murry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well, I get the cards by name and they don't change, but I can't use both USB and the normal AC97 at the same time.
VIA8237 (disabled in bios but still showing in mixer)
This is plug and play - the operating system sees the thing even if it's disabled.
It could be that the USB card (most likely - or the other card) is sometimes initiated before and sometimes after the other sound card. Unplug the USB card and pug it in when the boot is fully completed and see if it still changes - I would not think so...
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Soundcard

Post by kenwood1995 »

OK tried that but the via and the ensoniq keep swapping places each startup.
via 8237 dsp0
ensoniq dsp1
Next time they are reversed.
USB not plugged in at all
Murry
Husse

Post by Husse »

??
This is a shot in the dark, but try to enable the disabled card in BIOS. I think it has something to do with the order in which your components are initialized and that may help
Unfortunately your problem is such that it is hard to figure out the phrase to search for (in google and the mint and ubuntu forums which always should be consulted)
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Soundcards

Post by kenwood1995 »

Your reply got me thinking.......that's dangerous.
The via 8237 on board sound is disabled in the bios, but is still useable
in Linux Mint. I tried it with QSSTV and it works.
Murry

Return to “Beginner Questions”