Video sound uses a different source then audio (Xmod)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Beinrich

Video sound uses a different source then audio (Xmod)

Post by Beinrich »

Hi.
Im trying to get the Creative Xmod usb soundcard to run in Linux Mint 6.
It works fine with Rhythmbox but with both Totemplayer and MPlayer the sound still comes out of the onboard soundcard.

In Settings>Audio I selected "Creative Technology Ltd Creative Xmod Wireless USB Audio (OSS)" for everything but recording and Mixer. Mixer doesnt have the OSS as an optin so I picked "Creative Xmod Wireless (Alsa mixer).

(I tried to use the Alsa option for "Music and Movies" also, but there I get this error:
audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback.
)

I also did this, which I found in the Ubuntuforums:
~ $ asoundconf list
Names of available sound cards:
SB
HDMI
Wireless
and then:
~ $ asoundconf set-default-card Wireless
with no noticible difference.

In the Totemplayer, I couldnt find anything to adjust concerning sounddevice.
I played with the sounddriver settings in MPlayer but without any success.

Any ideas as to what I could try next or why the sound in movies still comes out of the onboard soundcard?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Video sound uses a different source then audio (Xmod)

Post by Husse »

USB Audio (OSS)" for everything but recording and Mixer Mixer doesnt have the OSS as an optin so I picked "Creative Xmod Wireless (Alsa mixer).
Well you try to get sound from OSS with a mixer that is using ALSA
I have tried to find info and the only useful info I found is that it is mentioned in the Google result, but not on the page that it is not compatible with Linux
Lets not give up that easy
With the dongle (if one can call it that) for it plugged in to USB run lsusb (note l is a lower case L) in a terminal and post here
It is possible that the USB ID we hopefully see can help us
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

Yea, since the sound from Rhythmbox works, it feels that it cant be that far from channeling all sounds through it.

lsub:
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 041e:30d1 Creative Technology, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1532:0101 Razer USA, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Husse

Post by Husse »

Something has happened - I can't use the ID as a search phrase any more.....
At least not that one.....
I've looked at maybe 30 + topics but no....
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

Hmmm, I just tried it with Ubuntu from a live CD (both 8.10 and 9.04) and it works as soon as I select Xmod for "Music and Movies" under Audiosettings.
I remember to have read that someone had a problem with the Xmod, that it worked fine on a fresh install but stopped working if unplugged and replugged. Now I havent unplugged it (unless switching it off counts) but maybe that is something.

Im gonna check it out now from Mint6 live.
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

Nope, it doesnt work from the Mint6 live CD either.

Does this help to point me into a direction I could search for a solution?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry I'm lost - will ask for help
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is the worst thing to search for that I remember - I just can't get any relevant hits
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

Im so sorry for the trouble.
Im gonna try it out with Mint 7 tonight.
/me knocks on wood
Husse

Post by Husse »

Don't be sorry - it's my job :)
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

Still, Im not making your job easier...

I am running the Mint7 64 RC now. I can choose "Playback: Creative Xmod Wireless - USB Audio (PulseAudio Mixer)" as the default mixer track now and have "Creative Technology Ltd Creative Xmod Wireless USB Audio (OSS)" on all other options, yet no sound in movies. I aslo tried VLC without success.

Music still runs perfectly though.

Should I report this as a bug (since it is working in Ubuntu)?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Should I report this as a bug (since it is working in Ubuntu)?
Yes, please
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Beinreich;

can you go to: Menu: Sound & Video: PulseAudio volume control; click on PlayBack; the most left of the options; if no sound playing, playback should be grey, and say "no application is playing audio"

start a sound file: playback should say: ALSA playback or some such; right-click: select "Move Stream": can you move it to what you want?
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

Hi there. Thanks for the help.
In Mint 7 64 RC there is "System Sounds" showing under PulseAudio volume control: Playback all the time. And nothing else even when I start some music in Rhythmbox. Rightclicking "System Sounds" makes a short line appear, as if there would be a contextmenue but its not opening or there are no entries.

In Mint 6 64 Playback is greyed out by default. When I play sound in Rhythmbox nothing appears either.
But on rollover of a soundfile "totem-xine-audio-preview" appears. I cant check rightclick there though because it disappears as soon as I move the cursor away from the file.
Now what worked was opening a soundfile in the totem player and then change the stream to the usb device. So thats a step forward, Totem player uses now the Xmod. The soundpreview and the MPlayer dont, and for the MPlayer there isnt a stream appearing in PulseAudio Volume Control at all.

Thanks alot already. Do you have an idea how to switch over the rest, too?
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

The PulseAudio Volume Control thing is gold.
I got it nearly solved.

When I rightclick on the USB-Card in PulseAudio Volume Control under Output Devices I can set it as default and everything runs through the Xmod then. Perfect.
The only downside is that after a restart it resets the Default Output back to the Onboard-Card.

Any idea on how to make it keep the default on the USB-Card?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hey; glad you found the PulseAudio Volume Control option was helpful; No, I don't know how to make it default; leaving an option selected on mine has made it default;

glad that right-clicking on OutPut Devices allowed you to direct the sound to another device;

intrigued about the PlayBack Tab;

can you try again with sound running; out PAVC (pulseaudiovolumecontrol); click on Playback; and by right-clicking on audio stream, can you "MOVE STREAM" ??

I joined the Pulse Audio mailing forum for a short time: that is where the experts hang out: join it; ask your question; I withdrew afterwards as most of their discussions are very erudite ...............
Beinrich

Post by Beinrich »

Thanks for the tip for the Mailing List, gonna check that out.

Yea, moving streams works great, thats how I got all the movie player to use the USB-card. And it stays permanet, too.

It is just that when I change the default card, really everything changes with one click. And I cant move the stream from the rollover-preview of soundfiles (since they stop playing when I move the mouse to change something in PAVC) for example.

Return to “Sound”