A thread specifically for text & "marketing copy"

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

A thread specifically for text & "marketing copy"

Post by professorsnapper »

Carl wrote:Ok I'll start =]

I think it would be good to create a standard text/Leaflet which people could post on non technical type forums ranging from things like gardening to cooking or other forums/websites which aren't necessarily related to computers in anyway that would explain what Linux Mint is and how it is perfectly capable of doing everything that windows currently does for them as I personally am a member of many gardening forums and other non-pc forums and no that if people actually new that they didn't have to update to widows vista and that they could hang on to there 512mb windows XP computer they would! especially if that meant a £200 saving :wink:
Carl's post (grabbed from another thread) raises a good point - what would really be handy would be some promotional materials which assume no prior knowledge and are accessible in layperson language.

Furthermore, whatever copy or text is used, for any LM promotional material, needs to be mindful of it's context and intended audience.

To an audience which is already familiar with Linux and has heard of Mint, then "Get Linux Mint" or even "Taste Linux Mint" may well be appropriate. For John or Josephine Citizen surfing the net from XP using IE seeing a LM button, or someone walking down the street seeing a LM t-shirt, these same messages may be obscure - do they refer to a new brand of confectionery? A toothpaste? A car? So, a message's context (where/how/to whom it's displayed) & intended audience (& their familiarity with the "product") is everything.

On that topic, even the LM homepage presently assumes a degree of familiarity with LM, with one of the first things people see being the blog. I suggest taking a leaf out of Ubuntu's book (homepage) & including something which on the very first page people see, provides a broad introduction & answers the question, "What is Linux Mint?" (Answering the question, "why do I want to use it / how will I benefit?" would be very handy too.)

Now, that's not to say that ALL promotional materials need to be super-explanatory. Using a T-shirt as an example:
- having a shirt simply with the logo on it (& maybe the motto too) could be good for style value, & to some extent, brand recognition. Of course, many who see it may assume it's just a picture on a shirt, a fashion label, etc, without making the connection to computing.
- having the same shirt with the logo (& maybe motto) on one side, with something on the other side that puts LM in the context of computers, could also be good. Examples may include something like, "Have you freed your computer yet?" or "Give your PC a treat". This could potentially be far better in terms of generating interest / questions & more actively promoting Mint.
- Of course, why not have both? A variety of materials can be made available, according to various people's tastes / interests.

Anyway, some thoughts to build upon...

Snap.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: A thread specifically for text & "marketing copy"

Post by Carl »

professorsnapper wrote:Examples may include something like, "Have you freed your computer yet?" or "Give your PC a treat". This could potentially be far better in terms of generating interest / questions & more actively promoting Mint.
- Of course, why not have both? A variety of materials can be made available, according to various people's tastes / interests.

Anyway, some thoughts to build upon...

Snap.
That "Give your PC a treat" would look great on one of reverend_nerd's concepts like the one's in this thread:
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

Carl wrote: That "Give your PC a treat" would look great on one of reverend_nerd's concepts like the one's in this thread:
I agree. Some other ideas for copy (for that image and/or for use elsewhere), off the top of my head:

"Your PC wants Linux Mint"
"Give your computer some real refreshment"
"Refreshment for your PC"
"Ahhh.... THAT'S more like it!"
"Linux isn't supposed to be this good"
"Refreshmint - Linux Mint"
"Isn't it time you got Linux Mint?"
"Get your PC in mint condition - Linux Mint"
"Linux Mint - sweet"
"Sweeten up your PC"
"Give your PC a taste (of)..."
"Computing with taste"
"For computer users with taste"
"Taste Linux Mint"
"(Free) computing has never been so sweet"

I've used "PC" & "Computer" interchangeably - play around with these.

Remember: there is a software-based service out there simply called Mint (http://www.mint.com), which works on PC's... that site has a Mint blog... not to mention Mint being a record label and the name of a band, a brand of credit card and a newspaper, among other things... I suggest being clear in using the term "Linux Mint" rather than simply "Mint" in all materials. My hunch is that this may be A Very Good Thing To Do, for a variety of reasons.

Snap.
ayonkhan

Post by ayonkhan »

mesanna wrote:Snap, you've got loads of great ideas, these are my favs:

"Linux isn't supposed to be this good" ** maybe even change the word "good" to "easy"?**

How about "Linux Mint - it's a tasty pc"
Really nice. :D I like this "(Free) computing has never been so sweet" too. And I would like to add "Linux Mint - A new flavor of computing".
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

ayonkhan wrote:
mesanna wrote:Snap, you've got loads of great ideas, these are my favs:

"Linux isn't supposed to be this good" ** maybe even change the word "good" to "easy"?**

How about "Linux Mint - it's a tasty pc"
Really nice. :D I like this "(Free) computing has never been so sweet" too. And I would like to add "Linux Mint - A new flavor of computing".
Oh I like that "A new Flavour of Computing" :D
ayonkhan

Post by ayonkhan »

"Linux Mint - Taking computing to another level"
neo21

Post by neo21 »

If you get back to "carls" post in the opening of this thread, I would suggest using several "messages" and test them/let them compete against each other.

Average Joe messages to try LinuxMint:

- Save money and tune up your old computer/notebook (which you are used too) and get a better looking up-to-date OS, that is secure and reliable, that lets you use firefox etc. just like WinXP
- No viruses. No spyware. Linux runs the internet (not totally true from a pure technical point of view), run the same secure OS on your computer at home for free and enjoy the internet.
- Coverflow for all Your windows? Promote the eye candy...how many ipod users are out there and love cover flow? With compiz LM offers you the same visual expierence for all your app windows on your computer...for free
- 1 Desktop? Get additional 3 for free! Virtual "desktops" are great for small screen devices (notebooks) and all these windows users dont even know thats possible...show them (eye candy) and tell them they can have it for free
- "People or Mega-Coorparations?" The "communism-non-profit-power-to-the-people-no-big-brother"-part of Linux (and therefore LinuxMint)...

Always tell "Free" "Easy" "For You" "100% Hassle free" "Community" "Your computer Your OS" "Secure" "Try it" "No install needed keep status-quo unchanged while testing"...
sebmck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sebmck »

In my opinion i think that using the "mint" part as a promotion is to much, like not every single advertisment/promotion has to be about mint. Just dont go to overboard.
professorsnapper
Level 2
Level 2

mesanna wrote:
goff wrote:
"Tired of Windows indigestion? Try some Linux Mint!"

GoFf
I really like this!
+1 for this idea as well.

I think the point goff made in his most recent post on this thread is a good one, and widely applicable - if I understand it correctly, that "all ideas are welcome, and those that come with constructive feedback, & specific ideas/examples of how to apply it, are particularly welcome".

Hooray!
Snapper.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

I was going to go with "Close Windows. Open doors" but it turns out it's a song...
I had a dream last night,
That the internet was dead
And that our mobile phones went haywire,
All was silent til i said...

Put down your barriers, pick up your pens,
Write an endless letter to a long lost friend.
Talk to the one by you on the bus
A life long partner? you discuss...things that,

Bring you joy
Make you sad
The half finished doodles
On your sketch pad
But remember how it came to this

Destroy, destroy the internet
Close windows, open doors
Put an end to online wars
Destroy, then rebuild all of our lives which have been filled
With endless propaganda
In our minds they have instilled

Bill gates was told by minions
And tried to log on to the net
The crisis lost him millions
'Unable to connect'

Nymphos, downloaders and gamers cried
On the night that BT's server died
Helplines buzzed and people ran
To topple, a freeserve van

The RIAA rejoiced
Metallica were moist
So they wrote a song that went something like...

Destroy, destroy the internet
Put an end to online wars
Destroy, then rebuild all of our lives which have been filled
With endless propaganda
In our minds they have instilled

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”