Compiz and Beryl Reuniting!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I hope Beryl adopts the existing Compiz code, rather than vice versa, because Beryl is too buggy with my Bianca, whereas Compiz mostly behaves.

Compiz :: Documentation

------
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Beryl is buggy in general to the point where I cringe when I see Youtube videos showing it off to entice new users to Linux; users that are likely to abandon Linux when Beryl goes wrong, thinking that Linux itself is buggy. So this is a good chance to try to get a nice, stable 3D desktop that also has cutting edge features. 8)
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Beryl has been a model citizen on my PCLinuxOS partition.

I was an unhappy camper when Beryl went unbearably bust on Bianca. I can do without spinning or flaming windows, but the glass effect is now a must-have for me. I've become a windows translucency addict, almost as bad as being a mouse-gestures junkie. Anything less feels like a throwback to the dark age.

Compiz's features are on par with Beryl. Both can be set to auto-clarify windows. Yay!

------
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Been running both, and berl behaves well.
Not a big fan of compiz, not enough configuration options.
Beryl seems like it could support plugins in the future.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

sanguinemoon wrote:Beryl is buggy in general ...
The old releases 0.20 and 0.21 were, yes ... but e.g. 0.25 is running totally without problems here :D

You just need to make sure you update to the newest release (they have their own repo) and that your hardware can handle it. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”