Too much memory usage

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike65

Too much memory usage

Post by Mike65 »

Hy!

I have 1gb ram, and if i run my machine for hours it's start eating up my memory. When i turn on it's uses about 300-350mb but in time it's raising up to 700-750mb. i don't know why, in other distros i never gone above 500mb. Im usually running opera and ktorrent sometimes krusader and amsn and i have compiz running. (like any other distros). i realized that opera can use 80-110mb of memory, ktorrent and amsn about 20-30mb. Htop shows that the X uses 17% of the memory. What can cause this kind of memory usage, and how can i solve it?
I have ati grapics card ant using ati propriertary driver.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Too much memory usage

Post by Zwopper »

Windows wrote:Unused memory makes it appear that the OS is not resource hungry!
Linux wrote:Unused memory is wasted memory!
You do the math! ;)

Seriously though, I don't see the problem!
Why don't you want your memory to be filled up?
This way your apps will load faster and the system will feel snappier.
If you come from windows I understand your thoughts though,
since windows constantly writes to swap for no reason what so ever!
Other then the fact tha windows prioritize the drawing of the desktop,
which ONLY will be swapped if any application wants to use actual physical memory REALLY BADLY! :D

Linux writes as much as possible to physical memory until it's full, then starts swapping, a MUCH better idea!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Mike65

Post by Mike65 »

No, i dont came from windows, this is not my first linux distro, and with other distributions as i wrote i dont met with that kind of memory usage.

"Linux writes as much as possible to physical memory until it's full, then starts swapping"
And that's not true at all, (at least for me) because there is some swap activity with only 70% of my ram loaded.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Mike65 wrote:No, i dont came from windows, this is not my first linux distro, and with other distributions as i wrote i dont met with that kind of memory usage.

"Linux writes as much as possible to physical memory until it's full, then starts swapping"
And that's not true at all, (at least for me) because there is some swap activity with only 70% of my ram loaded.
This is probably due to your "swappines" setting, change it and see what happens!
And I still don't see you main reason for this, are you afraid that your RAM capsules will wear out!? :wink: :D :mrgreen: :roll:
CREA DIEM!

Mike65

Post by Mike65 »

But i dont think thats normal a simple opera uses more than 100mb, and amarok uses 80mb of memory. i dont afraid nothing, just know that i never see this on any other distro.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Mike65 wrote:But i dont think thats normal a simple opera uses more than 100mb, and amarok uses 80mb of memory. i dont afraid nothing, just know that i never see this on any other distro.
Well if you're running the Gnome version, starting Amarok means that you have to load(or at least call to) a lot of the QT-libs, which will need some extra RAM. 80MB ain't all that much, depending on your library size, remember that it runs a database as well.
This was the main reason why I switched to Exaile.

About Opera I'm not sure, I haven't used it for quite some time, I do know that Epiphany is lower on memory resources then Firefox, so I use that as an alternative browser, when I don't want to load my 40 or tabs that are open in FF at all times... :mrgreen:
CREA DIEM!

Mike65

Post by Mike65 »

So here it is. i was left my computer run for 2 hours, only ktorrent was running, but there was no torrent in it. when i turn on my monitor it was 80% of my ram loaded. with no activity...
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

What Mint version are you using and what DE?
CREA DIEM!

Mike65

Post by Mike65 »

MInt 7, Gnome.
Another hour and memory went back to 50%, i dont know, maybe its normal, but i dont saw yet any other distro to use that much memory. (settings and apps are the same)

Return to “Software & Applications”