DVD Decrypter ( SOLVED )

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

DVD Decrypter ( SOLVED )

Post by bicky »

Hi - anyone know of a DVD Decrypter for use on Mint - historically I used DVD Fab Decrypt on my Windows installation
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: DVD Decrypter

Post by Carl »

bicky wrote:Hi - anyone know of a DVD Decrypter for use on Mint - historically I used DVD Fab Decrypt on my Windows installation
Depending on what you want to do either rip a complete DVD to say an ISO file or just to folders or if you wanted to actually convert the dvd on the fly to maybe xvid or x.264?

for just ripping entire DVD's I use DVD Shrink in wine (Gasp!) but there are plenty of similar native linux programs just open up "Software Manager" under "System" in the Mint Menu

for ripping DVD's to single AVI files or MKV you cant get much better then HandBrake
(Ubuntu 8.10 = Mint 6, Ubuntu 9.04 = Mint 7)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If you are running the KDE version, K9Copy works great. ISO, mpeg4, shrinking, etc. All the codecs!
I've used it with NO errors, and output is flawless.

regards, Richard
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

I want to copy the entire DVD removing all encryptions this is what DVD fab Decrypter does in Windows. I should stress that this is NOT FOR ANY ILLEGAL purpose - just for family use.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

richyrich wrote:If you are running the KDE version, K9Copy works great. ISO, mpeg4, shrinking, etc. All the codecs!
I've used it with NO errors, and output is flawless.

regards, Richard
Brilliant - Thanks for this.
Lantesh

Re: DVD Decrypter ( SOLVES )

Post by Lantesh »

Any native Linux app is going to rely on libdvdcss2 to do the decryption. Unfortunately this is not as good as AnyDVD in Windows. The best solution is still AnyDVD in Windows running in the backround, along with DVD Shrink to do the actual ripping.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Lantesh wrote:Any native Linux app is going to rely on libdvdcss2 to do the decryption. Unfortunately this is not as good as AnyDVD in Windows. The best solution is still AnyDVD in Windows running in the backround, along with DVD Shrink to do the actual ripping.

we really need some one skilled in that area to do something like anydvd for linux even if it's a premium paid for app many people would jump ship just for it :D I can imagine it now blueray dvd support for linux
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Carl wrote:
Lantesh wrote:Any native Linux app is going to rely on libdvdcss2 to do the decryption. Unfortunately this is not as good as AnyDVD in Windows. The best solution is still AnyDVD in Windows running in the backround, along with DVD Shrink to do the actual ripping.

we really need some one skilled in that area to do something like anydvd for linux even if it's a premium paid for app many people would jump ship just for it :D I can imagine it now blueray dvd support for linux
Yep - it would be brilliant. The ONLY reason that I use Windows now is for DVD decryption, Skype, ( On linux it is rubbish ), and my printers which are Lexmark.

Return to “Software & Applications”