x64 mint 7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: x64 mint 7

Post by proxima_centauri »

My guess based on the past, no.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Past performance may not be an accurate predictor of the future.

One of the limiting factors in the past has been lack of access on the part of the developers to 64bit hardware for compiling and testing. My understanding is that is no longer an issue. It may be as simple as compiling 64bit binaries for the Mint tools that are already tested on 32bit. I'm willing to be a little optimistic, but not giddy. :)
mikesol

Post by mikesol »

I have expected mint 7 for 64 bit anxiously , will be cruel wait more. :mrgreen:
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

learn to expect nothing, for then shall you never be disappointed
element

Post by element »

I'm looking forward to the point when x64 editions come first, in my mind it should be that way now.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

element wrote:I'm looking forward to the point when x64 editions come first, in my mind it should be that way now.
If only...if only... :(
Eddie G. Wilson

Post by Eddie G. Wilson »

Good Day All,

I really would like to see the 64 bit version of LinuxMint 7 very soon. At the present time I run the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and with the increased performance I get over 32 bit I couldn't see myself going back to a 32 bit distro. I have tried the RC of Mint 7 for 32 bit and its very nice. I need a 64 bit version before I can install it on my machine.

Thanks
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

The 64-bit version of Mint is always worth the wait. I am happy that Clem takes his time to get everything tuned and tweaked to perfection.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
ESM

Post by ESM »

The 64bit version takes so long that Ubuntu 9.10 is almost at the corner to arrive. The 64 bit version should come out at the same time as the 32bit version. Just like what Ubuntu does. I love Mint, but I now use 9.04 Ubuntu 64bit because I then get my full 4gig of ram and a faster system in a lot of cases. It's a shame. Especially the lack of info the Mint people give about the 64bit version. It may be still a month or two away :(
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

ESM: clem has said somewhere that he is now (as a trial period) working on mint full time, and that x64 is his current priority (now the upgrader has been released). As always, mint only releases when it's ready, so if you prefer a fixed release date you should stick with ubuntu, but I shouldn't think gloria x64 is too far off. It's also only been about a week since Gloria was officially released, about a month after ubuntu, so 9.10 is still 5 months off. By all means, if you prefer ubuntu, stick with ubuntu, distros are all about choice: if there's something you don't like about how the distro is run, it's easy enough to jump ship.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

64 bit is in the works

http://twitter.com/Linux_Mint
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

indigas wrote:You could easily see it, by reading comments in mint blog or even watching forums.
Not really, all we can see is that everyone is impatient for the latest and greatest, whether 64bit or not. Until the 32bit edition was released, there were constant posts on when is it coming, why is it not here yet. I even got impatient enough for the RC that I wrote a tutorial on upgrading jaunty to gloria manually. Give the team some credit, they got an RC ready in 10 days, and a really solid distro out within a month of the base being updated, and it's been just over a week since then. Bear in mind that unlike canonical, they don't have massive reserves of cash to support lots of devs full time, it's a relatively small team of part-timers putting together the best linux distro. I'm sure they would be happy for someone to step up and say "I'll take care of the 64 bit release, so that it can be released simultaneously in future" but as of now, nobody has done that.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

emorrp1 wrote:
indigas wrote:You could easily see it, by reading comments in mint blog or even watching forums.
Not really, all we can see is that everyone is impatient for the latest and greatest, whether 64bit or not. Until the 32bit edition was released, there were constant posts on when is it coming, why is it not here yet. I even got impatient enough for the RC that I wrote a tutorial on upgrading jaunty to gloria manually. Give the team some credit, they got an RC ready in 10 days, and a really solid distro out within a month of the base being updated, and it's been just over a week since then. Bear in mind that unlike canonical, they don't have massive reserves of cash to support lots of devs full time, it's a relatively small team of part-timers putting together the best linux distro. I'm sure they would be happy for someone to step up and say "I'll take care of the 64 bit release, so that it can be released simultaneously in future" but as of now, nobody has done that.
No that's not what this thread is about! please don't call all the x64 bit users impatient as otherwise anything else you right will just be ignored because you immediately put peoples backs up :?

We are all I'm sure grateful at the speed at which Clem manages to roll out Linux Mint it's just that on a modern distro in this day in age the 64bit edition should arrive at the same time as the 32bit :D
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Carl wrote:
emorrp1 wrote:everyone is impatient ... whether 64bit or not
please don't call all the x64 bit users impatient
As you can see, I call anyone who posts asking "When is xxxx going to be ready?" impatient, including myself!
Carl wrote:in this day in age the 64bit edition should arrive at the same time as the 32bit
maybe so, but the team can only release what's been created/tested, so as I mentioned before, it basically needs someone to volunteer to keep the 64bit in sync with the 32bit. If clem tried to do everything at once, we'd still be waiting for gloria now, so let those of us who need the 32bit enjoy the release, 64bit isn't far off.
ESM

Post by ESM »

All nice and clear, dear emorrp but can you then explain how the Sabayon guys for instance can come up with a swift 64 bit version of their Linux? I really think that their team is even smaller....
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

If their team is even smaller, my guess would be that it includes someone who wants/needs/advocates 64bit. People (especially open-source devs) tend to work on what they want to first and foremost, then work on what they need to afterwards.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

With Sabayon, perhaps they held back releasing the 32-bit version until the 64-bit version was ready. I do not follow their development cycle too much. However, I do know that they did not release 4.1 versions of GNOME and KDE at the same time, so I am sure someone complained about that in their forum, most likely.

I have been using Mint since version 3.0. I have no complaints with Clem's development cycle. I have two 64-bit systems and the remainder are all 32-bit systems. Would it have been nice to have both 32- and 64-bit versions of Mint available on the same day? Yeah, sure. Am I going to complain if they are not released at the same time? No, obviously, since why would I gripe about someone's release cycle who is doing this as a service to all of his users? As I have posted previously, I prefer Clem's timetable of releasing when ready.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
ESM

Post by ESM »

Clem himself stated that the work from 32 to 64bit was not that difficult, so why not bring it our earlier? I found the patch from 6 to 7 idiotic. First 64 and after that maybe the 6 to 7 path is much more logical, considering the fact that loads of people have 64bit processors nowadays.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

emorrp1 wrote:
Carl wrote:
emorrp1 wrote:everyone is impatient ... whether 64bit or not
please don't call all the x64 bit users impatient
As you can see, I call anyone who posts asking "When is xxxx going to be ready?" impatient, including myself!
Carl wrote:in this day in age the 64bit edition should arrive at the same time as the 32bit
maybe so, but the team can only release what's been created/tested, so as I mentioned before, it basically needs someone to volunteer to keep the 64bit in sync with the 32bit. If clem tried to do everything at once, we'd still be waiting for gloria now, so let those of us who need the 32bit enjoy the release, 64bit isn't far off.
Sorry I miss interpreted the what you were saying :|

My apologies :oops:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Patience will be rewarded. The 64 bit version was tested and approved for release candidate. You should see the release candidate pretty soon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”