Gloria KDE CE. When?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dalamar

Re: Gloria KDE CE. When?

Post by Dalamar »

Where can I post suggestions? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

soon, I have a build but the video on my intel video is broken.
once i fix the intel video problem it is off for testing.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
wlake

Post by wlake »

Don't know if anyone is interested, but I installed kubuntu-desktop on top of Gloria and it runs great and looks great. I kept the Dew wallpaper with the Tragedy desktop theme, linuxmint icons and highlandmist color scheme. I would post a snapshot but, honestly, I don't know how. The whole installation is about 3.7 G as I have not removed any of the gnome apps.

Regards,
wlake
GuiH

Post by GuiH »

Gloria KDE
released as 32bits
or
released as 64bits
?
Go2doug

Post by Go2doug »

There was a long time span between Mint KDE 5.0 ("Elyssa") and Mint KDE 6.0 ("Felicia"). This was due to the KDE 3.5.10 -> KDE 4.1 upgrade (I believe Felicia was released at that KDE level).

Now that Mint KDE 7.0 ("Gloria") is going to be released with KDE 4.2.3 (I think) there should be much less of a wait to go from 6.0 to 7.0, compared to going from 5.0 to 6.0.

If I am mistaken, please correct me.

I am still using Mint KDE 5.0 because I tried 6.0 and I didn't think KDE was ready for a long-time KDE 3.5.x user like me. I really hope to start using KDE 4.2.3 with Gloria.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

OK i have solved the intel driver problem which may have been bigger than i thought.
it was all due to a combination of zenity and /etc/gdm/failsafeXinit.
dont know why kubuntu left gdm configs in.

Boo
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

keeping the new network manager.
it just can not see hidden wifi access points (which bites, but hopefully you use better wifi security than just hiding your essid).

Boo
doman18

Post by doman18 »

For now i use Mint 5 kde, i dint try 6. For mint 7 kde I wait with bated breath but i can handle even an additional month of waiting if it would mean perfectly polished OS. So dont be too hasty Boo, just take as much time as you need so we can be proud we use KDE :)
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

Ive been using Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty since i'ts release & I find it very nice to use once I got most of the multimedia codecs etc installed & working. I will be looking forward to the Mint KDE release so I can have them all working.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I just uploaded an iso for testing by exploder and other devs.

Boo
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

hey boo, will the new mint kde release have a special theme or will it use the default kde theme? also hows the intel graphics issues in your release?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

mint kde will be using a mint Dew theme like the main (only blue).
and it looks better too.

Boo
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

how bout the intel graphics issue that is in ubuntu and kubuntu... will that problem be in mint since its based on kubuntu?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

how bout the intel graphics issue that is in ubuntu and kubuntu... will that problem be in mint since its based on kubuntu?
On my hardware the Intel issue is not very noticeable. I have on board 8x Intel graphics and flash playback works in full screen out of the box. I have no idea how other Intel graphics cards will be affected but lets keep a good thought! There are work arounds posted in the Ubuntu forum too. I worked around the issue with the Main Edition and am happy with the outcome.
hoppy785

Post by hoppy785 »

Yeah I managed to get a workaround on kubuntu to work pretty easily. I was just curious. I plan to switch to mint the day kde ce is out. Before I make the switch ill be experimenting different fixes on my kubunutu 9.04 Intel machine to see what works best or till I mess it up.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

so i have had to add network-manager-gnome since the kde front end is no good for wifi.

Boo
Go2doug

Post by Go2doug »

Boo wrote:I just uploaded an iso for testing by exploder and other devs.

Boo
Sweet! I think that Mint 7 KDE will be the best ever Linux distro shipping with KDE 4. I assume that it will be released with KDE 4.2.3, right? Hopefully the upgrade to KDE 4.3 will be smooth. As I surf around the Web, I am always praising Mint and leaving links to this website. Canonical should just drop Kubuntu already and replace it with Mint KDE.
wraybjoern

Post by wraybjoern »

Really excited about this. Any update on the release date?!?
Seriously considering downloading Mint 6 KDE while I wait.
wb
doman18

Post by doman18 »

The more interesting question is what system requirements would be needed for comfortable work. I've got Athlon XP 1700 768RAM ATI 9500 Pro and Mint 5 works smoothly. However still is less responsive and stable than my "pimped" WinXP and i wondering that KDE 4 in Mint 7 willl make the situation worse. Do i have to worry?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

doman18,
doman18 wrote:The more interesting question is what system requirements would be needed for comfortable work. I've got Athlon XP 1700 768RAM ATI 9500 Pro and Mint 5 works smoothly. However still is less responsive and stable than my "pimped" WinXP and i wondering that KDE 4 in Mint 7 willl make the situation worse. Do i have to worry?
You may be very disappointed! :cry: ATI has dropped support for ALL older Vid cards.
Worth a read:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&p=156580

Suggestion: Try the Live CD first!!!

my sympathies, Richard

Return to “Software & Applications”