External harddisk not seen

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jedidiah

External harddisk not seen

Post by Jedidiah »

I connected a western digital hard disk 1 terrabyte usb 2.0 hard disk fat format on a computer with usb 1.0 on wich I just installed mint 7 Gloria. Unfortunately it is not seen.
I restarted the system and saw several errors [numbers]....... sub 1-2.......... error 110

I am a starter with linux.

Any sugestions are welcome
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: External harddisk not seen

Post by Husse »

1 terrabyte usb 2.0 hard disk fat format on a computer with usb 1.0
Forget about that
USB 1.0 is so slow it'll take more than a week to read that disk if it's full (194 hours or 8 days for the full Terabyte :))
USB 1.0 has a speed of 1.5 MB/s (12 Mbit/s)
I don't know if there is a limit for the size of the disk through USB 1 (there is none for USB 2)
And fat on a disk that large - the clusters must be gigantic - do you still use Windows 98?
Because XP and Vista will not let you format to fat if the disk is larger than about 80 GB (or thereabouts)
Jedidiah

Post by Jedidiah »

This external hard disk works fine on many pc older than this one, even on an very old compaq x86 64 mb ram laptop, with usb 1.0 with windows 2000 installed. It takes not more than 10 minutes to open the hard disk.

I do not see why it can not work as well on this pc with 800 mhz amd duron procssor 256 mb memory 10 gb ghard disk ans 1.0 usb?

Do i need to install drivers may be?
i have installed different usb components with package installer. the ext hard drive was seen then, but when i open a folder on it, nothing is seen and after a while the whole exernal hard drive disapears again :?
Husse

Post by Husse »

It takes not more than 10 minutes to open the hard disk.
Well you don't have high expectations if you think 10minutes to open a disk is not a long time
Of course you can get some functionality from USB 1 but it is so slow (1.5 MB/s or 12 Mbit/s) that it's a lost case mostly
Many applications would time out before data is downloaded from that disk + that you seem to use FAT which is a disaster on a disk that large even if you partition it a lot - you should not really have more than 32 GB in a partition with FAT32
This is a lost case - sad perhaps but true
With the disk connected run lsusb (l is a lower case L) and post here
It might be detected.....
Jedidiah

Post by Jedidiah »

It was detected and is working fine now!!! it is detected in less then 1 minute!

:D

Return to “Hardware Support”