Scan tif with barcode seperator

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kellyg

Scan tif with barcode seperator

Post by Kellyg »

Hey all,
I've been searching for an application that will scan to a multi-page tif and create a new file when it finds a simple barcode ( the linear barcode is just 1 - 8 ). I've found software that will read it (mostly for mobile phones), but I need something that will create a new tif file when it finds one. We currently have one WinXXXX system that has a trial version of QuickScan pro. When the trial runs out we re-image the system and get another 15 scans :oops: . We can't afford the 3g's they want for the software. I've got Mint 6 on most of our systems here with the exception of this one. I need :!: a Linux solution. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks
KellyG
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Scan tif with barcode seperator

Post by Husse »

I'm intrigued by this problem but I have too limited time to solve it (at least now)
I googled scan barcode tiff linux (there are two f) and found a lot of hits some looking interesting
Will come back to you when time is not running out
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm not quite sure what you try to do - are the barcodes on one piece of paper and you want each section to be a separate file?
Kellyg

Post by Kellyg »

We receive invoices from vendors and when we print two checks, an actual check and a copy. These checks get printed with a barcode at the top. From there the accountants paperclip the checks and invoices and any other supporting documentation together and stack them at the scanner. What I need is a package that will seperate the checks with the barcode into seperate multi-page tiffs keeping the checks as the first image in the tiff. Make sense?

I did a google search and most of what I found was for mobile phones and taking pictures of barcodes. I did find one package but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Thanks
Kelly
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok I get it - do you live in a primitive country like the US :)
I don't think checks are used at all in Europe any more (this is not an excuse for not trying to help :))
I have not seen the problem before but it is a smart solution to a problem
My googling lead me nowhere near a solution
It seems you have a scanner that can scan many papers in "batch mode"
Is there something in the scanner you can use?
Kellyg

Post by Kellyg »

Yep... I'm in the US. Actually I'm in Texas where everyone still rides horses and goes "Yeee Haa". :lol:

The scanner is a Cannon. It has a 75 sheet feeder attached to it for batch scanning. The software we use with it is called scansoft pro. I haven't found a Linux version and this one expires after 15 runs. I have to re-image the system every time the trial runs out. The company doesn't want to spend the $3000 (2100 EUR) for it since we've got a "working solution". :roll:

If there was a cheaper solution then they might go for it... which led me here.

Thanks for you help.

Kelly
Husse

Post by Husse »

It seems that Oracle has had Scansoft for *nix since 2002 but at a rather hefty price tag and the same goes for Vividata
Could this be of interest
http://ptbarcodedec.partitek-software-inc.qarchive.org/
You'd need to do some work to get it to do what you want but it seems possible
A few more
http://linux-barcode-generator.qarchive.org/
I also saw an app to do this for about 600 $ but now I don't find the link

Return to “Software & Applications”