Giver not working?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trident

Giver not working?

Post by trident »

I just installed Gloria on a new Acer Aspire 5535 laptop. So far all is working except suspend (and I have added to the wiki accordingly) and I am now looking to transfer files from my desktop PC. As I have quite a few videos it would need a lot of ferrying for my 16GB flash drive to complete the job, but I hear good things about Giver so I thought I would give that a try. However it doesn't seem to work for me. Both my laptop and my HP Pavilion desktop are connected to the same wireless router and I eventually managed to get them both to recognise each other in Giver. However, when I give a file in one computer to the other, nothing happens on the other screen. I don't get a notification asking if I want to accept the file, I just get... nothing.

Am I doing this right? Should Giver work as long as my computers are both connected to the same wireless network using Network Manager, and both using Giver? Or do I need to do something else to network these computers so I can give and receive? I have tried sharing folders via Nautilus but haven't got that working either.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Giver not working?

Post by Husse »

This exactly as I had it - it turned out to be the Gufw firewall that was enabled (rather IPtables, but that's another story)
I have not managed to have it enabled with a working Giver....
Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Giver not working?

Post by Nicki »

To share folders in Linux Mint is easier than in other distros. I had also tried Giver without success. You can skip it.
If you already have shared the folders via Nautilus, this should be enough.
In the share options, tick the upper and also the middle or the lower boxes. Just go to Places/Network. You have to wait a few minutes after sharing out the folders to let it work fully. The other computer should be there. Maybe open Windows-network and look there.
If you restart your computer later on, you must do the share options again even if the boxes are still ticked. Something hangs up after a reboot.
And you don't have to do anything with the firewall, just leave it as it is by default.
I hope this will work for you.

Return to “Software & Applications”