graphical search utility

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: graphical search utility

Post by emorrp1 »

There's a few. I believe "Tracker" is the gnome-recommended one, so the one you should try first. Note that it has to create an index first, which could take a long time depending on the number of files.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

gnome-search-tool

To see if it's what you want, open a terminal and type gnome-search tool.

It will search for files by name or type, accepts wildcards ( i.e., "*" ) and can search for files containing specified text. So you could search for all *.txt files that contain the word "Mint" for example.

It doesn't have an entry in the menu but you could put it in there yourself.
You can also create a desktop launcher for it.
You can even create a right click option for use in Nautilus: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 81#p157068
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
amirage

Post by amirage »

Hi there...

May I suggest gnome-do? It's a great tool that simplifies your work by many folds. You can easily install it over synaptic by searching for gnome-do. With this, you can search for softwares in your pc, files, search in google etc etc. All this by simply pressing super+space.

Let me know if this helps..

Amit
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Just for some more info on the above post of gnome-do. Not positive about Linux Mint 6, but it is now installed by default in Linux Mint 7.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I remember it being installed and running by default in felicia, whereas you have to start it up manually in gloria (though you can then enable auto-start)
follyfarmer

Post by follyfarmer »

Yes but is there a GUI front end to this very important and very basic utility?
Alternatively is there an equivalent GUI tool?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, and welcome to Linux Mint follyfarmer. If you scroll through the rest of the thread, you can see we're only considering GUI search tools here, and there's a screen-shot of the gnome-search-tool here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 81#p157068

Return to “Beginner Questions”