classic problem : low resolution on external display

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Van Der Berg

classic problem : low resolution on external display

Post by Van Der Berg »

there is probably an answer to this problem somewhere (because i am definitely not the only one having this kind of problem), but i just cannot find it.

i have an intel i945 graphic card on my advent 9212 laptop, and i have just installed mint 7. i also have an external display (iiyama 22"), but i cannot set
the resolution on it on anything higher than 1280x1024 (which, of course, looks awful). i had this problem on almost all distributions before, but then i installed
ubuntu 9.04 and it worked perfectly good and i was able to set the resolution to 1600x1200. but, then, i have installed mint 7 and deleted some config files from
my home directory, and then the problem appeared.

this is my xorg.conf file :

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 1280 1024
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

(it looks very sparse compared to the versions i had on most distribution before)

any suggestions are more than welcome!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: classic problem : low resolution on external display

Post by Husse »

xorg.conf contains less and less and is possibly gone in the next version of Mint and Ubuntu when graphics move into the kernel
I'm a bit confused that I don't see two monitors, but I see
Virtual 1280 1024
Change to
Virtual 1600 1200
and you are probably done

Return to “Hardware Support”