What is LinuxMint's policy towards using external repos?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
odinmint

What is LinuxMint's policy towards using external repos?

Post by odinmint »

Hi all,

I come from PCLinuxOS where the policy is "install software only from PCLinuxOS repos" which makes sure that the system is always stable.

What is the accepted practice with Mint? I've seen posts here advising to add this or that repo in order to get extra packages; is it safe to do so? Or, what are "safe" and "unsafe" repos?

In particular, I'm asking about upgrading to OpenOffice to 3.1; should I go ahead and add the OpenOffice Launchpad repos or is 3.1 going to make it, eventually, to the "official" Mint repo when it is judged "safer"?

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What is LinuxMint's policy towards using external repos?

Post by exploder »

Safe updates in LinuxMint are level 1 & 2 updates in mintUpdate. Level 3 updates are assumed safe but use your best judgment. I have the ppa repo enabled and have the newest version of OpenOffice. The upgrade removes the old version of OpenOffice while it installs the new version, so there should be no problem. The splash screen will be restored by mintSystem when you reboot.
odinmint

Re: What is LinuxMint's policy towards using external repos?

Post by odinmint »

Thanks, exploder.

Just did it, and it worked fine, with splash screen restored after reboot.

Return to “Software & Applications”