Blank Screen and Panel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elytron
Level 1
Level 1

Blank Screen and Panel

Post by elytron »

I am having a problem with Linux Mint 7 on one of my computers. At the moment this computer has Ubuntu Hardy Heron on it, and it works fine. I am wanting to install Linux Mint though. I am able to boot up the Live CD and I can see the login screen. When the desktop should be loading though, it doesn't. All that loads is a blank screen and a blank panel. Not sure what is going on here, or how to fix it. A similar thing happened to me when I tried Ubuntu 9.04. I was able to install Linux Mint 7 on another computer with this same disk. It has been working great for me on that computer. Thanks for any suggestions, hopefully I can get Linux Mint 7 installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Blank Screen and Panel

Post by Husse »

Seems the disk is OK
Have you tried Compatibility Mode?
Press any key when the Live CD counts down
elytron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elytron »

I just tried Compatibility Mode a few moments ago, I am not sure what that is though. There was some scrolling text stuff, then my monitor said
Out of Range, set monitor to 1280x1024 @ 60hz
I boot a second time and tried it again, this time I got to what looked like a command line, but then after a short time that "Out of Range" showed up again.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Out of Range, set monitor to 1280x1024 @ 60hz
This means that there's a problem with the monitor :)
It does not communicate with the graphics card so the setting is wrong
Which monitor
Which computer specifically graphics card
You may have to use a trick in the screen where you can select Compatibility mode
Highlight normal or Compatibility mode, choose the one that worked best
Press Tab to edit the boot options
With backspace remove the two - and add vga=788
That gives you 800x600 with 65,536 colors
Add the two -- continue booting
I don't know if it helps you booting OK but it should fix the monitor problems
elytron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by elytron »

The computer is an HP Desktop. The HP website says that It has an ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics card. I am not sure which monitor it has, but it came with the computer. The website shows a different monitor than what I have. I can check tomorrow, to see for sure which model.

I tried the vga boot option thing. I don't think that it worked, since I wasn't able see the login afterwards. Maybe I did it wrong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”