slow down DHCP!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

The only problem is that the network does not connect automatically. I have to click the network icon and select the wired network manually.
Me too, and I'm running Mint on a regular PC. This little nuisance appears to be a feature that Bianca inherits from Ubuntu Edgy, and it's also passed along to Feisty. It arrived with Network Manager.

I wonder if Ubuntu has implemented it as a security measure, to prevent us Linux newbies from having an open Internet connection by default at boot-up?

I found the following instructions, which kick Network Manager to the curb without interfering with my ethernet Internet connection...

Disabling network manager in your gnome session will not work as that is just the 'notification area' for the network-manager service. To disable network-manager, either uninstall it (which will break ubuntu-desktop package) or do this:

Stop network manager...

sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop

Create two files with only the word 'exit' in them. These files are:

/etc/default/NetworkManager
/etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher

Reboot.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ne ... omments/19

------
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

If you stop Network Manager what do you use to make the initial connection?
Bianca takes care of that. I don't ask, she don't tell. ;-)

My system settings -- found under the Bianca > Administration > Networking menu -- still specify Automatic Configuration (DHCP).

The only functional difference is that Network Manager is no longer an additional step that needs my attention. This means that my firewall (Firestarter) can now be a StartUp Program without complaining that there's no available connection. And I just blissfully call upon Firefox to cruise the Web, as usual.

I've read quite a bit of princess' about Network Manager within the Ubuntu herd.

Most other distros that I've played with (e.g. PCLinuxOS) don't use Network Manager. The port configuration and connection are made transparent by Linux. Now my Bianca does likewise.

-------
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Sort of related... well it was network-manager.
I installed fiesty on my laptop.
setup wireless networking (admn-->networking) but it would not connect though i could see the network. :shock:

network-manager (icon next to the clock) did not work properly.
the solution I found was to delete/remove all non lo network devices found in :
/etc/network/interfaces
then use the network-manager (icon next to clock) to set up wireless.

I found this solution in the Ubuntu forum and it has been around since herd...
I suspect that the solution is to not use admin-->networking (wich is not network-manager) at all and just use the icon which is network manager.

by default all your interfaces are set to a roaming profile in 7.04, could this be your parallels network problem??

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Other topics”