upgrade guide for newbis please

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nivosh

upgrade guide for newbis please

Post by nivosh »

Hello.

I have been using mint 6 for the past 6 monthes and enjoyed every moment.
I think it's the best linux distro out there.

I want to upgrade to 7 but i've heard it's best to do a clean install instead of upgrade.
my home folder is located at a different partition (sda6) and my root at (sda5)
can someone please write the necessary steps for a clean install but to keep all the settings from home?
I need to keep the font's, theme, links between different folders, shortcuts etc'.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: upgrade guide for newbis please

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hi nivosh,

What you desire is not too difficult to achieve. I suggest making a backup of your /home folder. Your configuration files should not take up much room, they are the hidden folders in your user's home folder.

Once you download and burn the LinuxMint 7 LiveCD, boot up as normal into the live session.
1. Start the installer
2. Choose your location, keyboard layout
3. Choose "Specify partitions manually (advanced)" on the Prepare disk space screen.
4. Select your SWAP partition to be used as SWAP. Choose your /dev/sda5 partition to be set up as "/" and choose the option to format it. Choose your /dev/sda6 partition to be used as "/home", *leave it unformatted*.
5. Continue and finish the installation with user details, installation of grub, etc.
nivosh

Post by nivosh »

Thank you proxima_centauri for the precise explanation...
will all the folder links, settings, fonts etc' will be preserved in the process?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Yes, as I mentioned - most all of your configuration files should be stored in your user's /home profile.

The exception may be if you installed fonts to /usr/share/fonts, then you will need to make a backup - if you store your fonts in /home/$USER/.fonts, then they will be saved.

When in doubt, backup :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”