Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 x64 Gloria RC1. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the videos and the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 7, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=888

Bug Thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=27260

Clem.
ESM

Re: Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1 released!

Post by ESM »

And thanks a lot, back at Mint after a short Ubuntu64 adventure :) Real nice to be on the two forums though. All answers for Ubuntu also work in Mint vice versa. Great work!
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Azati Prime »

Awesome! Is there any way to upgrade from 32 to 64 or am I going to have to just do a fresh install?
ESM

Post by ESM »

Alas, a fresh install is the only possible option....
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Doesn't seem to be many replies regarding x64 yet, I'll take that as a good thing.
I've had it live booted for most of the day on my main system. I haven't really tried a 64 bit version in a while because there's always some snag but, so far I haven't hit any road blocks with this RC.
My Mint 6 install on this machine is so customized I need to make sure the x64 version is a really good before I wipe it off and start over but, the way 7 is looking so far, I can tell it won't be long.

It's going to be nice finally running a 64 bit OS on my 64 bit computer and feeling good about it. I better get to backing up the ole /home directory. 8)
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

I replaced my LM6 - 64 with LM7 - 64 RC1. I have already been running LM7 - 32 on another partition. I am having trouble with stability compared to LM6 - 64 which gave me no troubles. When I run the program to set the screen saver and power saving features that seems to be a problem. It completely freezes the system and I have to force a manual shut down (holding power button down for sev seconds is only thing that works).

Also when running BZFlag (my favorite game), it plays fine for a bout ten minutes, but then the screen goes blank for a second, then it comes back and appears okay, but now my keyboard is dead as far as the game control is concerned. The mouse still works, but none of the keyboard game controls do. I then have no other way to exit game other than ctrl-alt-bspace (which still works). It seems to happen at about the kick in for the screen saver (about ten minutes in), but I play BZflag on LM7 - 32 without incident. Maybe it is a compiz issue. I don't know, but I seem to remember someone suggesting changing a setting in compiz relating to focus or something, but can't find the post.
MatchStickMen

Post by MatchStickMen »

another Linux Mint 7 user, I loaded Linux Mint 7 on my friends Toshiba L355 Satellite Laptop, everything works great.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

big_dog1968 wrote:I replaced my LM6 - 64 with LM7 - 64 RC1. I have already been running LM7 - 32 on another partition. I am having trouble with stability compared to LM6 - 64 which gave me no troubles. When I run the program to set the screen saver and power saving features that seems to be a problem. It completely freezes the system and I have to force a manual shut down (holding power button down for sev seconds is only thing that works).

Also when running BZFlag (my favorite game), it plays fine for a bout ten minutes, but then the screen goes blank for a second, then it comes back and appears okay, but now my keyboard is dead as far as the game control is concerned. The mouse still works, but none of the keyboard game controls do. I then have no other way to exit game other than ctrl-alt-bspace (which still works). It seems to happen at about the kick in for the screen saver (about ten minutes in), but I play BZflag on LM7 - 32 without incident. Maybe it is a compiz issue. I don't know, but I seem to remember someone suggesting changing a setting in compiz relating to focus or something, but can't find the post.
The second problem turned out to be Compiz. When I turned off desktop effects in 'appearance' app the game ran flawlessly. I want to use Compiz. Is there a way to keep it from interfering with the game?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've just discovered an application called compiz-switch
Compiz is a pain ....
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I woudn't say Compiz itself is a pain - but when you combine Gnome with Compiz and with some applications, then there are some issues.
From my experience:
Using Compiz and playing Counter Strike (with Wine) and running Google Earth and playing a movie at the same time together with features like rotate cube works perfectly fine for me.
But Nexuiz for example has issues. It totally captures input, so Gnome thinks computer is idle and a screen saver kicks in. I had to use a script to disable screen saver just before the game starts and reenable it after the game exits. Also Nexuiz-glx has issues with sound suddenly stopping for no reason, while Nexuiz-sdl does not have sound issues, but it does not work with Compiz - I have to switch to Metacity.
And so on...
Some apps just work without any problems, while others have issues. It is no ones fault - just lack of full compatibility. And I still talk about things that happened to me in LM6 64-bit - I expect the same things in LM7 unless the devs decide to rewrite Gnome, Compiz, and 10000 other programs in addition to building Mint :P.

Btw. Will there be a smooth transition from RC1 to Final?

P.S.
I had an orgasm when I saw this topic :mrgreen:
ESM

Post by ESM »

As there are hardly any problems with the RC1 I guess and hope that we will get the so called final just through the updates, like it happened with the 32bit version.
chameleon

Post by chameleon »

Can someone confirm that if I now install the 64bit RC1 over my existing 32bit install,I will be able to upgrade to the final release?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Downloaded Mint 7 x 64 RC1 about 12 hours ago. Been using it almost continuously since. No problems or complaints. Clem and the crew have done their usual superb job. Congratulations on another great version of the world's most perfect operating system
ESM

Post by ESM »

MsChevyKat wrote:Is there an upgrade utility to do the upgrade from 6 x64 to 7 x64 like the 32 bit has?
As I noticed when I installed the 64 version there is no migration possible for files and such, so save your home dir on a second disc or partition or big usb stick and install the 64 bit version.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I would also love to see an update tool to automate transition from LM6 to LM7, but on the other hand I understand how difficult it is to make one. It would be easy to write a tool which assumes that user did not make any changes to the system apart from installing updates via mintUpdate. But if there are some custom modifications (completely unpredictable), then such a tool would fail.
So for now I think its for our own good, when the devs say: "Copy your important stuff (like the home folder) and make a clean install"
Rather than use an update tool and then have 10000 posts on this forum like: "I used your update tool and it sucks. All my custom modifications of the linux kernel are gone. All my hacks I found for Gnome on the net are gone. My hacked wireless drivers are replaced with the default ones. And my modified USB camera driver stopped working again because you erased the source code modifications I made!"

But probably there will be an update tool some day - which works at least for not very modified installation of Mint. Ubuntu offers an update procedure, so I am sure Mint will also have this feature eventually.

P.S.
Arrgg! I cant wait to install LM7! I just don't want to risk reinstalling the system now when I am so close to finishing my final project on my university. Just few days more.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

I've downloaded Mint 7 x64 yesterday. Since installing it yesterday afternoon it is running. No errors. Looks for me like a final.
I'm happy with it. :) :) :) :) :)
Congratulations Clem and team. Thank you for making again such a glorious distro.

H.
darkprof

Post by darkprof »

I am not found glx.h and over gl :(
ESM

Post by ESM »

??? what do you mean ???
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Found a possible bug in Mint 7 x 64. I just bought a bluetooth mouse. Tried to pair it to my bluetooth capable laptop and had no luck. The bluetooth device wizard says the mouse is paired, but the flashing green and red lights don't change to pure green and mouse doesn't work. Tried many times using all pin number combos offered.

It does work in Mint 6 main 32 bit (but not in Mint 7 32 bit).

Will post in hardware support to try to find a fix.
Da Londo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Da Londo »

I went from Mint 6 x64 to Mint 7 32, looks really good, can't wait to get the x64 but I'm seriously in doubt about installing the RC1. Any idea how long the RC1 needs to be tested before the stable release?
aka Jim on HexChat

Return to “Releases & Announcements”