MintInstall popups

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colonelk

MintInstall popups

Post by colonelk »

Can anything be done about that annoying popup that tells you its downloading data for a screenshot of an application?

If you scroll through them it brings up a pop-up for each screenshot it downloads and it sits on top of every other window even after you minimise MintInstall and do something else. Hence you end up with that pop-up appearing in front of other maximised windows.

Maybe default behaviour can be a modal popup ONCE telling you that it will download screenshot data when you select an entry in MintInstall then when you click it, it goes away FOREVER!

Lovin Mint 7 though...... :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: MintInstall popups

Post by emorrp1 »

Well, it's not really a pop-up, it's part of Jaunty's new notification system. Note that there's currently (v6.3.4) no preference to disable the feature in mintInstall, I guess it's designed as feedback for people with slow internet connections, but yes, it can be annoying with decent connection speeds.

On the other hand, I have discovered a way to disable it, but note that this method is completely unsupported, and is likely to be overridden by future updates:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i '/Downloading/s/os.system/#os.system/' /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/frontend.py
I'll add configuration of this behaviour as a suggestion for a future version.
markcynt

Re: MintInstall popups

Post by markcynt »

Nice easy fix, works for me. Thanks emorrp1.

Return to “Software & Applications”