Best Way To Share RSS Reader Profile?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Best Way To Share RSS Reader Profile?

Post by rhodry »

Mint 'Gloria' is my primary os across all machines in my network. The three primary internet apps used are Firefox, Claws-Mail & Liferea.

My problem comes when I am using other os's on this machine or, more often, on laptops away from my home base (such as PCLinuxOS 2009) on one laptop; and the problem is co-ordinating the profiles of these apps.

I have solved Firefox in that I run the Xmarks add-on and that allows me to have the same bookmarks on any machine that I run Firefox on. I have solved Claws-Mail in that I copy initial setups except that I run it as POP client on this main machine and run it as IMAP on all others. That allows me to keep mail on the server until I get back here and then decide if I want to store it locally or not.

The one I can't solve is using Liferea on this machine for ( lots of) RSS feeds and then using Akregator on another machine. The list of feeds is the same but the feeds look to their own local message data to highlight unread messages when updated. That means when I get to another machine with the other app running ( even the same app would still be a problem) I update the feeds and have to go through a heap of messages I may have already seen.

Has anyone any experience in how best to keep multiple machines up-to-date with 'feeds read' status?

Cheers,
Rhodry.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Best Way To Share RSS Reader Profile?

Post by emorrp1 »

I think the only real solution is to choose a single app, and stick with that across all your installs. That way (assuming you also stick to the same version) you should just be able to share the same config files (e.g. copy/sync the .liferea folder between installs)
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I think you may well be right. I have not found any other way to readily solve this.

Generally, I prefer Gnome/Gtk apps but I must admit I don't like loading swags of dependencies so when on a KDE install I tend to use KDE apps. I actually do prefer Akregator to Liferea but it is one of those damn apps that is so intergrated into KDE that I hate running it under Gnome.

I guess I will follow your line with the configs. I can write some simple bash scripts to do the rsync and I guess that's what usb flash drives were invented for hey?! :)

The only other option I have come across is to use one of the Firefox newsreader add-ons. That starts to turn the .mozilla folder into a nightmare & I think would still have version & profile problems.

Hmmm, thanks for the thought,
Rhodry.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Alternatively you could use a cloud-based service like google reader (I don't, I prefer content coming to me, and going online to do that seems pointless)

Return to “Software & Applications”