Incomplete Upgrade?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stevieb

Incomplete Upgrade?

Post by Stevieb »

Just a minor thing.

When I upgraded to 7, I did a fresh install. After I had issues with that particular install I went back to v6 and upgraded to v7.

Only now this time I notice that this v7 is missing the new wi-fi connection icon and notification. V6 is a small cream pop up box, v7 is a grey much slicker looking notification. The icon in v6 is a blue and grey set of bars, v7 is a slicker green icon.

Any idea what could have gone wrong during the upgrade, and is there likely to be anything else that wasn't upgraded correctly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Incomplete Upgrade?

Post by emorrp1 »

make sure you have the notify-osd package installed, it's in the jaunty repos. This is just one of the many hazards of upgrading.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Thanks for the tip.

It certainly stopped the notification.

Any idea how to update the icon? I know it's only a minor thing! :D
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Stevieb wrote:It certainly stopped the notification.
Really? It should be this package that provides the slick notifications, but I could be mistaken.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

All I did to install notify-osd was use the package manager, is that ok?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

yeah, should have been, do you get any notifications at all? If not I don't know why, try running this command to check:

Code: Select all

notify-send -i /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/icon.png "Heading" "Message"
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Nope, no notification when I startup, however with that command it worked fine.
Screenshot.png
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

ok, well at least the notification system is installed properly. I suspect the integration with various tools depends on exactly which version they were implemented in, or if there's a config option (as there is in pidgin) for integration with libnotify.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Aye no biggie. I just hope nothing else is missing, I can't be bothered doing a fresh install! :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”