install fine works for a while then dies...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diptenkrom

install fine works for a while then dies...

Post by diptenkrom »

i have installed mint 6 on my desktop (gateway GM5472) a few times. it installs beautifully, works great, and then just quits booting.

i currently have a load that worked for about 3 weeks. now it comes up like it is working and then ater the progress bar bootscreen, it
comes up with an error message and a prompt and said it waited to long for root device. i don't know what to type inthere to get it going again, or is there a repair install or somethng i can do?

i am running linux mint 6 main edition (x86)
my computer is athlon 64 x2, 3gb, 90gb partition sharing hard drive with xp pro and vista h prem, wired net interface...

i can give more particulars if needed, model is listed above but i added memory and more hard drives. widows works fine so i don't think it is a drive issue. the same install disc worked perfectly on my sons desktop and my laptop, so i am baffled. thinking about trying mint 7 x64 rc1, downloading as i type.

any advice would be great, i love the os, but don't like having to keep resetting it up every couple of weeks. and it seems to set things up easier/better than ubuntu, and i really don't want to have to go back to ubuntu...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diptenkrom

Re: install fine works for a while then dies...

Post by diptenkrom »

um well, i tried mint 7 rc1 64bit, and loaded it on a seperate hard drive, with the main one unplugged.

worked fine until i plugged the other one back in. then it comes up with the same prompt.

so i left the drive plugged in and installed it on the extra drive again... install went fine, reboot and it says it is not found, no prompt, just a dead install...

i have tried 3 times and it is not working.i am trying to keep the 2 drives and the windows/linux bootloaders seperate.

i have windows drive set up as default, but i can choose the linux one at bootup. i would not mind it being the other way around, but neither works...

please help me...

Return to “Beginner Questions”