XBMC installation [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gizmoatwork
Level 1
Level 1

XBMC installation [SOLVED]

Post by gizmoatwork »

Hi all.

I'm quite new to Linux Mint. So I'm a bit confused. I was using Ubuntu before, so I get lost sometimes. :?

Well, here is my trouble : I'm trying to install XBMC. I've added the jaunty-PDA as mentioned (because I use Mint 7) here :
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33327

But I get the error message "Unable to find expected entry free/binary-i386/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)"
What am I doing wrong ?
I've tried to configure the PGP key but Linux Mint doesn't have the menu System->Administration->Software Sources and click the Authentication tab

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: XBMC installation

Post by emorrp1 »

You can manage sources either from the command line or from Synaptic --> Settings --> Repositories. It looks possible that you've set the "section" as "free" instead of "main"
gizmoatwork
Level 1
Level 1

Re: XBMC installation

Post by gizmoatwork »

Thank you very much.

Indeed, I changed the section to "main" and it works :D
Can you explain what it does ?
emorrp1

Re: XBMC installation [resolved]

Post by emorrp1 »

basically there's some jiggery-pokery magic to turn the deb line into a URL pointing to a list of packages available from that repo. With free instead of main, the URL was simply invalid.

Return to “Software & Applications”