Ext 4 file system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Ext 4 file system

Post by emorrp1 »

You should note that it's not yet fully developed (kind of an RC stage), so installing it on production systems isn't supported (though I've not had any problems yet). It'll be the default in Helena, and then you'll be able to benefit fully from the increase in speed, various data size limits increased, support for SSDs, and better anti-fragmentation features without any issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

With Ext4 you'll be able to store files as big as 16 terabytes so that'll be handy. It also does it's e2fsck stuff faster than Ext3.

I'm using Ext4 on the 64bit RC Mint now and I haven't really noticed any speed difference but I've only just installed it.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I have ext4 on my Mint 7 32-bit install and have not had any negative issues at all. I am going to run with ext4 on Mint 7 64-bit when it is released, as well.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Beginner Questions”