MyPassWordSafe (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greenjoe

MyPassWordSafe (Solved)

Post by greenjoe »

I have been trying to install "MyPassWordSafe" using Synaptic. It keeps placing it in the file system under /users; and in a way I can't understand. I can't figure out which file has the database where passwords can be stored/retrieved. There must be someone who can offer some advise or has had experience with this program. I would like to have the log-in folder in my root directory, It doesn't matter much where the actual database is since once logged-in it should just go there directly. (I think). It works that way in Windows (PassWord Safe), but I know Mint isn't Windows. Could someone help??? Greenishjoe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: MyPassWordSafe

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Until you enter a password or passwords into Mypasswordsafe, no safes are created. The database you are looking for does not exist yet if you have not entered anything into the program.
greenjoe

Post by greenjoe »

It would seem to me that there is someplace where one can "log-in". I could go through all of the various folders and try to find one where I could enter a password, but I feel that would be a waste of time. In the Windows version there is an icon for Password Safe. When you click on it, it will ask for a password that will open the database where one can enter the type of entry(class) and one will be offered a window where user name and password can be entered. The MyPassWordSafe Manual shows such windows, but doesn't say anything about arbitrarly entering a password to create these windows or which file it might be. I may be missing something in my download from Symantic, but everything that gets downloaded is there together, and I don't find anything that will allow me to go further. I have installed PassWordSafe on several Windows machines and it was a straighforward process. I don't understand why the Linux version has to be so complex. But I'm just a aging newby and there's a lot I don't understand.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

press ALT+F2 then type in MyPasswordSafe and hit enter - viola. The app doesn't add a menu item for launching it, and it's not a command-line interface, but you should be aware that the version number suggests it's still in development, so there may be some bugs.
greenjoe

Post by greenjoe »

Is this to be done in the terminal window? If so, it comes up with "Cannot find"........

*******************************************************************************************************
Thank you.....
Got it to work, but it seems that my pass-phrase won't reopen the database. If I use the ALT-F2 and type in MyPassWord Safe , it will open, but asks for the pass-phrase for the data base, and rejects that. I can open a new database, but that does me no good. I must still be doing something wrong. I can create a Group in the new database, add one "new Password", save it in my root directory, and it's there as a dat file (which of course won't open). As I say, I think I'm missing something here.
Last edited by greenjoe on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

ALT-F2 should bring up a pop-up similar to the run dialog in windows. You should also be able to launch it from terminal with the same command:

Code: Select all

MyPasswordSafe
Make sure you get the capitalisation correct - If you type My then tab, it should autocomplete the rest for you if it's installed correctly, it worked in a VM I just checked it.
greenjoe

Post by greenjoe »

Thank you, emorph1,
I finally got it all working. Took a bit of messing with it. Uninstall/reinstall kind of stuff, but figured out what I was doing wrong.
Your first clue of ALT-F2 was really what I was looking for. A new trick for my bag-of-tricks...Thank you again. Joe Green

Return to “Beginner Questions”