Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
GuiH

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Post by GuiH »

What about the x64 version??! I can't wait hahahha
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

Great Job. Everything is working. Even got my USB speakers to work. There is only one thing left, the fingerprint reader. I have a DELL E6500 and I would like to get that to work. Any help is deeply appreciated.
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
Marcush

Post by Marcush »

smokeymtn_ron wrote:"Now lets set a challenge. How many can we convert to using it?"

You can count me in!! I was using the live cd for about a week, and one day got so mad at Windows that I trashed it and installed "Gloria". Best move I ever made. This is the first time I have used Linux and it is GRRRREAT!!! :D :lol: :lol: :D
Nice to have you on board, Im new too.
deka316

Post by deka316 »

:D Gloria is Sweeet! :D Thanks again to all who help Linux Mint stay fresh!
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Once again, thanks and congratulations.

I did a new installation last night and it completed in ~45 minutes - previously an hour - and there were only 66 updates waiting - about ¼ hour - last time for Felicia there were over 100 and they took an hour.

I had tried to resize & create new partitions as required using GParted in Felicia beforehand but failed there. During installation this operation worked with no problems. I tried to name one as theo (=username) instead of /home, but forgot to insert / before it, and so failed in that detail. But it seems as though only prescribed values will be accepted there.

I appreciate improvements - Hibernate works nicely, Workplace switcher now identifies its workplaces - previously they were all Desk1 - and I've just discovered that dragging an application from one workplace to another actually works!

During installation, I entered a name for my computer but this doesn't appear - the default name was retained. Can I change it now? I have my personal coding method for this. [I'll post this in Newbies if there are no replies here].

The Installer could find no systems from which to import "accounts" - although Felicia is installed. I have successfully replaced the initial .mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird folders (second attempt for the former) as well as .gramps but so far have failed to recover my old Tomboy Notes. Previously it has been sufficient to copy .tomboy and .tomboy.log.

Incidentally, after installation of Gloria I installed a very new version of Gramps from SourceForge - and this is working nicely with the data stored in the /home/theo/.gramps folder.

There have been no problems in mounting selected partitions from "Computer" - and with my main data store mounted, all my desktop links appeared and worked as soon as the saved Desktop folder from Felicia was pasted in. In Felicia I had first to open each one, as it originally appeared locked after inserting from Daryna. I still find desktop links for applications/utilities more convenient to use than MintMenu (from which I drag them).

I hope somebody may find some of this interesting!
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Etoja »

An absolutely stunning release! I've installed it several days ago with no problems whatsoever - not even a single video drivers issue, The latter is a pleasant surprize! The first hitchless installation in my 12 year span of Linux installing. :)
Thanks folks. The system is a pleasure to work with at the moment.
quebec88

Post by quebec88 »

Hi Everyone!

Last night, I took the plunge and I installed Linux Mint 7 on my home computer. No more XP Pro! So far, I'm loving it. This version of Linux is unbelievable! I couldn't believe how easy it was to install. Tonight, I took my Lenovo netbook and removed XP Home and I put on Ubuntu 9.04 Remix. I'm looking forward to the world of Linux........something that I was hesitant to do in the past, but this version of Linux Mint won me over!!

Thanks to all who made this release possible. You have done a wonderful job!!!

Dom
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

hey why is the internet slower on the new system
tstreit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tstreit »

I have been dual booting between Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista for a long time now. I wouldn't really call it dual booting since I hadn't booted into Windows for about 5 months, but it was still there wasting my hard drive. I am happy to announce that I no longer am dual booting and I am only running Linux Mint 7! This has to be probably the most stable disto have been on thus far.

Awesome work to the Linux Mint Team!
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

ok obviously no help here
bobd07

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!...re:snodgrss

Post by bobd07 »

You might want to try posting this in one of the help forums.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes - this is no support topic
eyemeansit

Beautiful artwork!

Post by eyemeansit »

The Login Screen is absolutely the most beautiful one I have ever seen... and in almost 10 years of distro-hopping, I've seen quite a few!
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Hello again, I just thought I would pop up and say thanks for Mint 7 which I have just managed to get hold of. It is superb barring one thing - the installer which, if you will excuse the pun is a ubiquitous disaster! 6 tries altogether, 3 with Mint and 3 with Ubuntu every one a failure (at about 94% I think) and I end up having to do practically everything by hand. Install grub, write out menu.lst, populate fstab. When the rest of the distro is so good how on earth can you allow this to happen? It is destroying it. Not only did it crash every time but it has a new built in wrinkle as well (in both Mint and Ubuntu) the dialog boxes are larger than the screen, making half the options invisible unless you are able to drag the box about which is not always possible.

I remember I had this same problem (the crashing not the dialog box size) when I installed Mint 6 Gnome and was told that it was because I had multiple partitions. Well surely I am not the only computer user with multiple partitions, in fact I would think the vast majority have this setup and Ubiquity should be able to cope.

What puzzles me even more is that the last version of Mint that I installed on this machine - XFCE CE had no problem whatsoever with my partition setup, and I thought the problem had been solved, then several months later it is back again.

I know you don't control Ubiquity, it is part of Ubuntu, but don't let this great distro (which is considerable superior to Ubuntu btw) be spoiled by this worthless tool.

Please do me and Mint a favour by addressing this. Ubiquity is open source, surely you must have somebody that can tweak it a ltttle bit so it actually does what it is supposed to?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I still consider myself a newbie in the Linux world, so I can hardly understand everything you wrote. But this looks like a major repeatable problem, so maybe it would be good if you created a separate thread in the support section of the forum and describe in detail all the symptoms (an a solution if you have one).
Fortunately it does not affect everyone - there are many people who didn't have any problems.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

eiver wrote:I still consider myself a newbie in the Linux world, so I can hardly understand everything you wrote. But this looks like a major repeatable problem, so maybe it would be good if you created a separate thread in the support section of the forum and describe in detail all the symptoms (an a solution if you have one).
Fortunately it does not affect everyone - there are many people who didn't have any problems.
Under normal circumstances eiver you would be correct, but not in this case. Ubiquity has a shed load of bugs posted against it (685 last time I looked, going back at least 2 years) so I am not actually posting anything new, just bemoaning the fact that however often they are reported they never get fixed - at least my one doesn't. And it causes me an awful lot of hassle every time I install. As for a solution, there is so much trial and error involved it wouldn't make for pretty reading!
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I was just suggesting to make a separate topic out of that, because this topic is used by people to express their feelings about Gloria. This whole discussion about Ubiquity will simply vanish under a load of other posts. So if you just wanted to say how unhappy are you because LM 7 uses Ubiquity, then we are done. On the other hand, if you want to start a discussion with the devs or other users who have the same problems about how to solve the problem or maybe at least a workaround how ti install LM 7 despite the problem - then creating a new topic about that would be useful I think.
edwinv

Post by edwinv »

kevinrs wrote:Just to say a great new release. I have Mint 7 installed on both my Acer Aspire one as well as my old HP Omnibook 6100.

Mint works "out of the box" on both machine's. The only thing that dosnt work is the LED indicator for the wifi on the AAO. That I can live with until I get round to finding a way to restore it.

Nice one! Thanks to the Mint team for providing this release. :D

i think the card readers do not work as well - i also have an aspire one 150 - mint runs very well (as did unbuntu netbook) however card readers do not work (exept when a card is present at startup)

i hope ubuntu/mint will have a solution for this very soon
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Just recently moved back to Mint. Great work again, thanks very much! I really appreciate your effort!

I used Windows 7 a couple of months just out of curiousity. I guess it's ok system if one can live with those many applications (virus-, firewall-, bug-, defragmenting-, register cleaning-, etc. apps) you have to use to keep it running smoothly. I couldn't. Mint is for me. 8)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

littleb: the only problem with ATI cards I know of is that they dropped support for masses of cards back in February, if you're waiting for a fix, don't hold your breath, it won't happen. The good news is that ATI released the full specs of these cards, so the open-source driver should see massive improvements in the next year, some for Helena, hopefully it'll all be good by mint 9 LTS

Return to “Releases & Announcements”