Samba configuration file

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedWagon

Samba configuration file

Post by RedWagon »

I usually write my own Samba configuration files but on this last install of Mint tried out the right-click Sharing Options approach. I later checked my /etc/samba/smb.conf file to tweak a few things but it hadn't been changed. Is the GUI way using samba at all? (I didn't think there was an alternative, but I could be wrong.) If it is, why isn't smb.conf changed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Samba configuration file

Post by altair4 »

Mint and Ubuntu have removed the old way of sharing through nautilus ( Classic Samba ) and replaced it with something called nautilus-share ( Simple Sharing ). You have in fact created a share but it's defined in /var/lib/samba/usershares not in /etc/samba/smb.conf.

If your interested in this new way I have written a howto on it's use: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169

"Classic Samba" is still possible but you need to download the package: system-config-samba

EDIT: I should have noted that the package system-config-samba doesn't add an option in nautilus. Instead it's a stand alone utility that appears in Menu > Administration > Samba. Also of note is that since this new package is samba specific, if you're interested in NFS ( which was an option in the former method ) you're out of luck.
Last edited by altair4 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

I am no authority on this but from setting up my system it seems that it is either one system or the other. Have a look at this thread from Altair .

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Actually, the old way is still there but it's a stand alone utility, not in nautilus, and not in the menu. Type shares-admin in a terminal. But NFS has been removed from it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”