defrag - ext4

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

defrag - ext4

Post by ibm450 »

so sorry if this is a dumb question, i read somewhere that you can actually defrag ext4 or linux like you can with windows? is this true? if so, what is the link to download the tool to defrag your system(lm7 32bit)

regards

:oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Fred

Re: defrag - ext4

Post by Fred »

ibm45,

Forget defrag in Linux, especially with ext4. It is almost a moot issue due to the way Linux file systems are designed and managed. In most cases they pretty much defrag themselves. Your assistance is not required in that process. :-)

I have Linux ext3 file systems that have been used for a couple years on a daily basis that show less than 10% fragmentation, with no intervention from me.

Fred
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I too would agree with Fred - you *really* don't need to defrag in linux, and the "extents" make it even less necessary in ext4 than ext3, but if you must: As not all features in ext4 are fully supported by the current kernel (hence it not default, only available in manual partitioning stage), it's a non-trivial process, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/321528 for why it won't work straight off, and http://polishlinux.org/apps/cli/ext4-de ... -e4defrag/ if you're really determined.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

thanks guys for the input. its refreshing to know that linux dosnt require defrag at all, hence saving wear and tear on your hhd.

much appreciate the response.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”