Alternative to KGrub?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Benhermies

Alternative to KGrub?

Post by Benhermies »

I want to change the Grub menu order but I'm too chicken to do it manually. I tried installing KGrub but it won't actually start. It's on the menu but nothing happens when I click it. Is there an alternative GUI editor for Grub I can use?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Alternative to KGrub?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

there is a program called Startup Manager available through Package Manager. Open Package manager and type "startupmanager" (without quotes) in the search box. Startup Manager will do what you want but it will take a little bit of tweaking. There is an error in the run command of the menu entry. To repair it follow this procedure:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p159803

It only takes a minute and you should be good to go.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't have kgrub installed but the menu listing for kgrub could have the same bug as the menu item for startupmanager.

try running gksu kgrub ( if that's the exact program name and capitalization ) from a terminal.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Aging Technogeek

Installed kgrubeditor and played around a bit. Found that the start command in the menu launcher is incomplete. To fix, right click on the mintMenu icon to access "Edit Menu". Select "System Tools" Highlight "kgrubeditor", and select "Properties". The original command is
kcmshell4 kgrubeditor

Just add "gksu" at the beginning so the command reads
gksu kcmshell4 kgrubeditor
This will make kgrubeditor visible in the Administration section of the mintMenu (if it was not there before) and allow you to launch and use kgrubeditor.

EDIT
Once you get kgrub editor running, it is a much more extensive application than startup manager. It gives almost as much access to grub as the terminal and does it via a GUI window. Startup manager's only advantage is that it lets you choose the default OS via GUI without directly editing the boot menu.
Benhermies

Post by Benhermies »

Aging Technogeek: You are DA-MAN! Adding "gksu" to the menu properties worked like a charm. Thank you so much!!!

On a side note, anyone know if this is a kgrubeditor issue or just the way it gets installed on Mint?
Aging Technogeek

It may be because kgrub is a KDE app and we are running it on a Gnome desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”