Grub won't install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spottyelephant

Grub won't install

Post by spottyelephant »

Hi,
So a quick background - I have an Amilo L1300 and have had fedora core 4 and windows on it for years. Rarely used fedora though because it didnt have wireless support for me. Had to re-install windows there the other day and decided I'd re-do Linux at the same time. After a bit of reading i decided on Mint.

However, my install keeps failing at about 94% when installing Grub with "Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed, this is a fatal error".
My hard drive was setup (something) like so:

Swap (from old fedora) 130mb
ext3 8gb
fat32 30gb

So i thought it might be that the old swap was too small to install the new one. I went back into windows and using partition magic pro 7, made a blank bit of 300mb, so now i have:

Swap (from old fedora) 130mb
ext3 8gb
fat32 29gb
unknown 300mb - which i choose as the swap.

Please help! Now I am NOT good with the terminal and stuff, so if there's any solutions using that could you please explain using baby steps & full length commands!

Thanks

--also I'm specifying either the old swap or the new unused 300mb for the swap - maybe should I set swap, fat32, and unknown to "do not use this partition" and just leave the installer to put it wherever it wants (on the ext3)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Grub won't install

Post by DataMan »

A couple of the basics that may apply/help:

1. Have you verified the integrity of your install CD (verified the md5 checksum)?
2. If not or it fails the test, do a new download, burn the iso at a slooow speed and verify the md5.
3. With your partitions already setup, I'm assuming that you are doing the "manual" partition setup for the installation (make sure you check the "format" checkbox on the partition that will contain the "/" ?

These are a few of the basics. I'm off to work shortly so if the above is a no-go post back and someone else from the collective should be along shortly to provide additional assistance.

DataMan
spottyelephant

Post by spottyelephant »

In answer to Q3. Yes, that's all fine.
Q1 - no i didn't do a checksum...do i just download the checksum program in windows and "load" the iso into it? I didn't see anything about that on the download page.

I'm in work now too, so won't actually be able to do this till i get home. Just trying to troubleshoot now so i can jump right in when i get back.

thanks
spottyelephant

Post by spottyelephant »

The checksum came out ok - any other ideas please??
spottyelephant

Post by spottyelephant »

Ok, I know I'm posting like a mad man - but I have a new problem..!

I fixed that last problem by specifying sda1 rather than leaving it automatically choose hdo, but i'd installed mint bootloader in windows which i removed cuz it was looking at ext2 and getting stuck. Now there is no boot menu - it just goes straight into windows.

Is there a way to install a boot menu from windows so that when i start up the computer i get the grub boot menu??

Return to “Beginner Questions”