[fixed 6.3.7] mintInstall 6.3.4: hang on screenshot dl

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matheos

[fixed 6.3.7] mintInstall 6.3.4: hang on screenshot dl

Post by matheos »

we cant browse app list when offline : Mint install try to download screenshot on the web and freeze there..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: mint install minibug

Post by emorrp1 »

@matheos: please can you change the thread title to something more descriptive and helpful like "mintInstall 6.3.5 - offline hangs on screenshot dl" or something similar.

I can confirm this bug *for browsing apps not browsed before*, apps for which I already have the screenshot aren't a problem. Looking at the code (frontend.py), this is really strange as the download screenshot stuff should all be occuring in a separate thread, and hence not affect the main app. However, it can't be threading properly because the app's reviews list isn't populated while retrieving the screenshot is hanging.

Ok, I first thought the reason for this is the data locks that threading has to use in order to prevent accessing the same stuff at the same time as another thread (or, if it doesn't do this automatically, then the simultaneous access of wTree/model from the main thread). However, this can't be the case, because it works in the online mode, or perhaps it just happens fast enough that it's complete by the time the data is needed again. It could also be to do with using os.system, rather than urllib: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/496685/

Basically, I can't identify the exact source of the problem, but this definitely needs looking at in more detail.

Return to “Beginner Questions”