Resource drain on system idle

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Resource drain on system idle

Post by newW2 »

i hope this is the right place to post this question / issue. I notice that my system resources max-out when the system sits idle for 10-minutes, which is what the screen saver "was" set to. I have screen saver un-checked to watch / verify this is happening. I have AMD 4000 @ 2.4 G. and 1 GB ram.

This isn't normal is it? Not for Linux?

Thanks in advance.

Az Dutch as Irish Can Be javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@ newW2
this should be a new topic, it will get more attention that way too.

(im sure someone will split this post.)

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Thanks for the quick reply

Az Van
Husse

Post by Husse »

Topic split
system resources max-out
Exactly what is happening?
It's always easier to answer with more facts :)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Resource drain on system idle

Post by scorp123 »

newW2 wrote:I notice that my system resources max-out when the system sits idle for 10-minutes, which is what the screen saver "was" set to.
Do you have beagle installed? Chances are its indexing stuff in the background and thus consumes a lot of I/O and CPU cycles. I personally don't like that stuff at all and removed it plus all its components completely. Can you check if beagle is on your system? It could be the culprit causing this ...
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes scorp there is a beagle barking in the the back yard. I've removed beagle and will monitor to see if that helps. Promptly got a "could not load icon (icon 'system-search' not found)" popup after removal.

I noticed that evolution is one of the things that it indexes. I have another machine that I just loaded that has beagle installed but not evolution setup.

One other specific: beryl is installed on the box presenting this issue.

Now for some coffee ....

Edit:

Removing beagle has not affect.

Correction it did work. I tried it again - seems like magic but I'm sure I did something different. Thanks again for the help.
Last edited by newW2 on Sun May 06, 2007 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

I would suggest always checking what is being installed / removed before clicking the "apply" button in synaptic/adept... :D
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

Return to “Other topics”