Downloading LaCie Lightscribe Labeler .rpm file(solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aging Technogeek

Downloading LaCie Lightscribe Labeler .rpm file(solved)

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I've been trying to download the file so I can use the labels Zwopper created ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27187 ) on my Mint disks. This is the first time I've tried to use .rpm files. I got Alien from Synaptic, read the man pages and what other docs I could find. I feel confident that I can use Alien to transform the .rpm file to a .deb file.

My problem is this (and it may be the normal action. I have never downloaded a .rpm file before). Is it normal for the downloader to open Gnome mplayer and put the file into the mplayer cache? If this is normal, how do I retrieve the file so I can run it through Alien and install it? If it is not normal how do I correct things?

I'm no longer a true newbie in Mint but in this instance I feel like the newest of the new. Any help will be deeply appreciated. I really want to be able to use Zwopper's labels on the CDs I will be burning for friends.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Downloading LaCie Lightscribe Labeler .rpm file

Richy,

Thanks for the link. All I needed from it was the URL for the mitechie 4L .deb package as I already have the HP lightscribe packages installed.

Went to the site, downloaded the package, lnstalled it, created a launcher, and am now burning a test label.

Thanks again,
John
smokeymtn_ron
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Downloading LaCie Lightscribe Labeler .rpm file(solved)

Post by smokeymtn_ron »

Hi Aging Technogeek,
I'm glad you posted this. I downloaded the Lightscribe .deb packages and they installed ok. But where are they and how do I open lightscribe? It's not showing up in mint menu. Thanks!
Ron
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Create a shortcut to launch the 4L Disk Labeler as root

a. Right Click on the Menu and choose Edit Menus.

b. In the left pane labeled menus choose either "Sound & Video" or "System
Tools".

c. Then, click new item.

Enter this information into the window:

Type: Application

Name: Lightscribe
Command: gksu 4L-gui
Comment: Label a disc with Lightscribe
Aging Technogeek

ron,

The HP lightscribe software can be found in " /opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler". To add to menu, Right click menu icon to acess "Edit Menu", Choose the category you want for lightscribe and click "New Item". Fill in the blanks in the ""create Launcher" window (the command is simply the file path quoted above), Click "Okay" and close everything. Lightscribe should be in the menu in the category you chose.
smokeymtn_ron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smokeymtn_ron »

Got it! Thanks!! :D :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”