[duplicate] Mint menu doesn't search more then one word

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johonunu

[duplicate] Mint menu doesn't search more then one word

Post by johonunu »

When I type in filter field two words or more the menu recognize only first word. It does it to all : search portal and repos, show package and install package !
I fixed this using this Python code :

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import os
import commands

search_txt = ""

#make search text with all arguments passed
for i in range(1,len(sys.argv)):
	search_txt += sys.argv[i]
	if(i!=len(sys.argv)-1):
		search_txt += "_"  #this is for merging words with a "_", you can change this depending on query string (Google would have "+" for example)

releaseID = commands.getoutput("cat /etc/linuxmint/version/mintinstall/release.id")
if os.path.exists("/usr/bin/gconftool-2"):
	browser = commands.getoutput("gconftool-2 --get /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command")
else:
	browser = "firefox %s"
link = "http://www.linuxmint.com/software/?sec=search&search=" + search_txt + "&release=" + str.strip(releaseID)
browser = browser.replace("\"%s\"", link)
browser = browser.replace("%s", link) 
os.system("/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/launch_browser.sh \"" + browser + "\" &")
Hope this helps :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Mint menu doesn't search more then one word

Post by emorrp1 »

Please check the forum for existing topics that match your description before posting. This is especially important for the "Bugs" forum, where the problem and solutions need to be easily visible to the developers. I have already reported this, and posted a similar solution to yours: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=27622

Thanks for the confirmation though, and please keep reporting bugs if you find them (but try the support sections first, in case it's a hardware issue or something)
johonunu

Post by johonunu »

I am sorry, I didn't check first, my fault :( It won't happen again !
Should I rename this topic or something ? Or it's even better to remove it !
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

don't worry about it for now, I've linked to this one as a confirmation of mine, so it'll be ok to just leave it here.
scs

Post by scs »

Hi emorrp1,
you have linked your topic to itself, I think.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

So I did :oops: fixed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”