Suggestion: change the blank screen after login

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Suggestion: change the blank screen after login

Post by oakhilltop »

Just a suggestion to the developers. Yesterday, I updated Mint 6 to Mint 7 on my home desktop that's used by family members. I've noticed on Mint 7 that the screen seems to be blank for awhile after logging in. I've had Mint 7 on my laptop for a week or two, and can't remember if this is different than Mint 6. But, yesterday my wife logged into Mint 7 when I was there and asked "did I do something wrong?" as she was waiting for her desktop to load. So, I think there may be a difference between Mint 6 and Mint 7, since she noticed it immediately. This is a pretty new machine with pretty good hardware. It does have an ATI card and uses the ATI drivers. Perhaps, that has something to do with it.

The extended blank time doesn't leave a good first impression to a new user. Overall, everyone seems to like Mint 7! Congrats on the work you have done.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Suggestion: change the blank screen after login

Post by emorrp1 »

This won't have changed for mint 7, it's more likely that your card is one of the ones for which ATI dropped support, so now it's using the opensource one which currently degrades performance.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

emorrp1 wrote:This won't have changed for mint 7, it's more likely that your card is one of the ones for which ATI dropped support, so now it's using the opensource one which currently degrades performance.
It's a Radeon 4830 card and the hardware driver app says it is activated. Maybe the driver has changed. The blanking is not a big deal, but the first time user sits there wondering what's going on.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

OK, so ATI still support your card. I believe there's upstream effort trying to make booting a "flicker-free" experience, so hopefully the blank screen will suddenly disappear in a future release.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

Just an update, because I'm at home and logged into the computer. After entering the password, the screen is blank for 5 to 10 seconds before anything appears.
Meads
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Meads »

Mine is exactly the same but only for about 3-5 seconds. It's not really that annoying to be honest but i wouldn't mind fixing it. I am running Mint 7 on an Acer 5315 Laptop.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Same here, again only for roughly 3-5 seconds, it's not a problem but like you say for first time users it could be off putting, maybe thinking that it's stalled.

I've got a Nvidia graphics card so it's not just the ATI.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”