NTFS support in 2.6.30 kernel?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: NTFS support in 2.6.30 kernel?

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, and welcome to Linux Mint! Well, the problem is you installed a new kernel, not provided by mint or ubuntu for use in jaunty/gloria. Where exactly did you install it from? Although the main .30 release is stable, it's still only in karmic alpha at the moment, so it's obviously not had all the ubuntu-specific modifications. In your case this is ntfs-3g module. If you're determined enough, you can install the module manually, but I wouldn't bother posting your problems here, as you're effectively running development software. I also just noticed that this is in the newbies section, kernels are never going to newbie-friendly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare you away, it's just that anyone who installs a custom kernel is basically expected to have the know-how (or google-skills) to sort themselves out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: NTFS support in 2.6.30 kernel?

Post by RedWagon »

Linux security issues when compared to Windows security issues are so different they shouldn't even use the same words. Most Linux security issues are "things that could possibly maybe compromise security if someone does this" whereas Windows security issues are "design flaws that give malware and hackers unrestricted access to your PC." Okay, maybe that was a little bias but my point still stands. Unless you're running a major web serve and as long as you keep your system up to date through MintUpdate (or whatever your distro uses), Linux "security issues" are a non-issue for everyday users.

Return to “Beginner Questions”