"What is the best Linux distribution for beginners?"

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
atgreen1

"What is the best Linux distribution for beginners?"

Post by atgreen1 »

hey go to this web page and read this .http://www.tech-no-media.com/2009/06/ta ... ew-of.html :) see ya around KL
emorrp1

Re: "What is the best Linux distribution for beginners?"

Post by emorrp1 »

yep, this is the very nice review clem linked to on the main page's blog.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

There is an article about LinuxMint-7 and a nice review, in the current issue of Linux Format Magazine /August 2009, Issue #121.

They ranked LinuxMint 7 as 3rd most popular Linux OS in the world, and steadily climbing.

There are quotes and reviews from several people, including our own emorrp1.
Included with the magazine, in the US anyway, was a LiveCD of LinuxMint-7 (Universal Edition).
The included free CD is Eco-friendly.

You can read the on-line issue of the magazine at: www.linuxformat.com
killyourfm

Post by killyourfm »

Ditto that sentiment. I've been trying to have the guts to ditch windows since 2005 when I tried things like Redhat, Debian, Suse, et al. But Mint has sealed the deal....
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

ter wrote:My feelings exactly. I have tried as many distributions, and when Mint introduced Gloria, I fell in Love :D .
Same goes for me with the difference that I stopped roaming from Distro to Distro with the coming out of Helena :P
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

I tried LM8 on my Vostro1520, after updating and installing the drivers for my Broadcom I was moving some files using Natilus and it just froze,at 1st it seems to be only Natilus that was froze but as I clicked around trying to get things closed it seemed the whole system went to h**l and I had to use the power button to shut down. The samething happened using both 32bit and 64bit.

I have it installed on my desktop and everything works fine, other than I didn't like the scanner software that was installed as default so i installed xsane and you can't crop the scan like you can when it installed in karmic. There has been several updates since, so it may be fixed.

I'm not sure I like the mintmenu but that isn't a show stopper as I can change it to a standard gnome if I want. I think LM is very thought out and is a solid distro. I normally recommend it to new users because most things will just work out of the box.
Jag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jag »

Of course! it has to be Mint.
I have been using GNU/Linux MInt since Elyssa, and as quoted above by others i fell in love with "Gloria". Helena is cool too. This is by far the best Linux Distro which is available.

AND a mention has to be made about LINSPIRE and its free counterpart FREESPIRE.
Freespire though slow (while booting) and its development being discontinued, was the first Distro that provided out of the box multimedia support just like MINT, with an easy installation that runs under 10 to 15 minutes. It had good support for sound cards. And i believe Ubuntu took from where FREESPIRE left, but could'nt provide restricted multimedia support for people not having Internet connections. So their experience of a HOME PC was restricted.

Linux MInt came to me as a surprise!!! I thought it was just another distro, but now i am hooked to it. With a great OS, excellent community support, forums, chat etc, this provides the MUCH NEEDED support for beginners.

Definitely this is the best GNU/Linux Distribution for beginners.
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Jag wrote:Of course! it has to be Mint.
I have been using GNU/Linux MInt since Elyssa, and as quoted above by others i fell in love with "Gloria". Helena is cool too. This is by far the best Linux Distro which is available.

AND a mention has to be made about LINSPIRE and its free counterpart FREESPIRE.
Freespire though slow (while booting) and its development being discontinued, was the first Distro that provided out of the box multimedia support just like MINT, with an easy installation that runs under 10 to 15 minutes. It had good support for sound cards. And i believe Ubuntu took from where FREESPIRE left, but could'nt provide restricted multimedia support for people not having Internet connections. So their experience of a HOME PC was restricted.

Linux MInt came to me as a surprise!!! I thought it was just another distro, but now i am hooked to it. With a great OS, excellent community support, forums, chat etc, this provides the MUCH NEEDED support for beginners.

Definitely this is the best GNU/Linux Distribution for beginners.
Totally agreed.
+1

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”