Wine issues, any options?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine issues, any options?

Post by iironjade »

Twan013 wrote:How can I put a program from Wine (Microsoft Excel, CAD, any game, etc) onto the LinuxMint desktop so I can quickly open it? From my experience, I have to go through the Menu > wine > browse C:/ > and then go through all the files and folders to find what I want to open, which is a major headache
Even with Wine, the programs' own installation wizards should give you the option to install a desktop icon. They do for me at least.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Every program I have tested installed a menu shortcut.
The I can just drag and drop it to the desktop.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

One option would be to install Windows in VirtualBox.
If you have a valid key for your current install of Windows, you can download a CD of your version. This requires you to know where to download a copy of XP.

atlef.
deverett

Post by deverett »

Here is how i did it, Right click panel then add custom Launcher, add the name of program in the command line I'll give you the example of my bible program
( xdg-open .wine/dosdevices/c:/bible/BibleWin.exe ). Just do the xdg-open .wine/dosdevises/c:/ and your program folder and exe file, wine is case sensitive. hope this helps.
DJKnutsen

Post by DJKnutsen »

Twan013.. I'm using CrossOver to run my Windows based password storage program, and I couldn't get it to work with Wine at all... Take a look at ... http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/ ... They list a bunch of proven to be compatible software, you might find an answer there...(mine wasn't on the list, but it worked!!) It installs your windows programs, and then creates a group call Windows Apps, where you'll find the icon to run them... Good luck, Cheers... Dave
hoe

Post by hoe »

As far as getting an icon on the desktop, just open the menu and drag it to the desktop or the tool bar :-)

Wayne

Return to “Software & Applications”