Mint boot menu format

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaspmatt

Mint boot menu format

Post by jaspmatt »

Where can I get information on the gfxmenu format that appears in the Grub menu on Mint? I would like to be able to put up my own splash image at boot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Mint boot menu format

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi, the package that deals with it is called gfxboot, googling that should give you plenty of info, see also http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27800
jaspmatt

[SOLVED] Mint boot menu format

Post by jaspmatt »

Thanks - I installed gfxboot but I can't seem to get it to display my .jpg at all. Still working on it.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

not sure what you mean when you say installed gfxboot, it should already be installed. gfxboot stores all its info in a compressed .message file, in /boot/gfxboot/ you have to edit that file to change the bg image.
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

I used this command (gfxgrub-change -i image.jpg ) from the first link you gave me above and substituted my own image.jpg in it. I saw that it generated a new custom_pic.message file in the /boot/gfxmenu folder. Isn't this the new message that was formed from my own jpg? What should the gfxmenu line in menu.lst look like now?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

yep, so you just have to change the file path - probably change ...linuxmint.message to ...custom_pic.message
laedrus

Post by laedrus »

Hi guys, i think we solved that on the devel topic, but just to register for who reads here after, it was a bug on my script, that seems to be solved after version 0.3.3 , i pretend to release in some hours 0.3.4 with widescreen support and other resolutions than 800x600
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Sounds good - resolution and wide-screen are my problem now. It works great as long as I stick with 800x600 jpgs but when they are expanded to 1280x800 there isn't much detail left.
laedrus

Post by laedrus »

Ok,

Just updated for version 0.3.4 which detects which resolution is being used (can be different than 800x600), and resizes the image to that resolution, hope that it solves widescreen and resolution problems.

Please report back

Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”