brasero. image could not be created.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

brasero. image could not be created.

Post by oakhilltop »

I'm trying to copy a CD using brasero on Mint 7 and get an error saying the image could not be created at the specified location ...... you do not have the required permissions to use this drive. There's a button to "Change Location". I tried that and selected my home directory, but it still complains.

any ideas? I guess I'll install K3B in the meantime.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: brasero. image could not be created.

Post by DrHu »

Try /tmp as the location; apart from your own /home/username, everyone who logs in has permission to use /tmp, this is also where downloads for viewing, such as *.pdf files are temporarily stored for the pdf reader application

Or to make sure it is not your userid that is damaged, simply create a new user and try out the process again
--and note that neither Brasero nor k3b can create a viable cd of the Linux mint 7 -gloria edition *.iso file, because they are using the wodim/cdrecord library
--however xfburn doesn't use that underlying library and has no problem with the Linux Mint 7 -gloria edition; creating a boot CD

The error for k3b or Brasero is error 80 on boot..
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi oakhilltop,
There have been a few member posts lately that are having trouble with brasero in Gloria. May want to try a forum search.

I've been using k3b for all of my burning/copying. Yes, it is a kde application, but can be installed in Gnome through Synaptic. I like it because it creates, checks, and re-checks the md5sum after the burn! (with many other cool features)
I have NEVER had an error or bad burn! :D
Contrary to the above post, I've burned MANY Gloria live cd's, all with correct md5sums.(to give away to friends)

regards, Richard
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Try turning off the plugins, they are buggy as heck.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Good, but this was the error I received, the different library that xfburn used fixed it quickly..
--the MD5 checksums were all correct, it could have been media type, as I found some noname brands (and I always use max speed), except when using cdrw media (runs at 4x) didn't all work, even using xfburn app..
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.scsidev: '/dev/hda'
I also didn't check group associations to make sure cdrom was included for my user, usually it is as a default..
http://ai.ms.mff.cuni.cz/cgi-bin/dwww/u ... TAPI.setup
Howto setup an ATAPI CD-RW/DVD+-RW recorder on Debian/Ubuntu
============================================================

This guide should be applicable to most kernel 2.6 using distributions of
GNU/Linux. For installations with kernel 2.4, continue reading below.

Kernel 2.6.*
============

If you have just one CD writer in your computer, CD-writing should work out of
the box. There should be a symbolic link /dev/cdrw which points to your actual
CD-Writer's device (e. g. /dev/hdb). If the link is not present (eg. the
system is not using udev/devfs) or if you want to use a different device as
default, you can configure the device in /etc/wodim.conf:

CDR_DEVICE=/dev/hdd

would configure the default device to be /dev/hdd, i. e. the slave
device on the secondary IDE bus.

You can always override this default setting with wodim's "dev"
option:

wodim dev=/dev/hdc ...

Only users part of the system group "cdrom" are able to write CDs.
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

I tried it as two different users. One was me with administrative privileges. Neither worked. K3B worked great. I'll continue to use K3B since it works and it sounds like brasero has a few bugs in it. I wasn't copying the Mint CD :? Actually it was my son who was trying to make a copy, and I told him to go to linux cause its easy to do. Then, it didn't work..... until I installed K3B.
psimon

Post by psimon »

FWIW, this hit me, from what i can tell Brasero seems to check the space on home, whatever you select for location, also it transcodes into tmp, meaning you need at least double what it reports is needed, on your home drive, even if you think you're not using it.

tested now, and confirmed this is whats happening

Return to “Software & Applications”