Mint PHP Remote Control

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Drake2k

Mint PHP Remote Control

Post by Drake2k »

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good software written in php/mysql that would run from a linux (yes I'm using mint :) server that would allow visitors to the website to establish a remote control session with another visitor (myself).

Reason: I don't want to pay for services and I don't want services that are bogged down with advertisements. The usage would be strickly for myself to remote my client's computers when they call me for help. This would also allow them to not have to install any time of software such as VNC and make any type of routing changes in routers or what not. I can just say "Here grandma, go to this website and click on 'connect' and type the password."

Simplicity is everything. Hence why I use mint for my servers and desktops. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Mint PHP Remote Control

Post by emorrp1 »

There's really not much you can control on another's computer through a decent web-browser the kind of integration you're talking about is exactly why you need a stand-alone app in the first place. Apart from anything else, you'd need different integration tools per-OS (the requirements would be completely different on a linux client than a windows client).
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

I've seen a few out there and have used a few at my company on the intranet. Cisco has one that's outstanding. However those are commercial products that cost a truck load of money. I'm hoping for something free. Even if it doesn't offer complete control but allows me to see their desktop. Sort of like Go-To-My-PC or whatever that's called.

I'm probably out of luck on this one but would be nice none the less.
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

For others that are curious, I found something that works great with linux. It's exactly what I need. I don't need anyone to remote to MY comptuer but wanted to remote to other people's computer.

Logmein.com has a linux client that allows me to remote into other computers and it doesn't cost me anything. They also have a free VPN client that's pretty nice.

So if VNC is not an option and you need to be able to remote into other computers that are windows or mac, then that's the best solution I've found.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Well it seems I could just be going crazy, as I thought you said you wanted to do it without having to install more software on the target computers, hence the avoidance of VNC. However I can't find any of that in your posts, and they don't have any edits, so I don't know where I got that idea. Anyway, glad you found a solution appropriate to your situation. You might also want to check out phpMyAdmin which allows you to administer the computer over the internet.
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

i thought phpMyadmin was only for MySql, does it do other stuff too?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

arrrrrg, today's not my best day, you're right of course, phpMyAdmin is for mySQL, the tool I meant was Webmin.

Return to “Open Chat”