ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86_64.run

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reckinball

ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86_64.run

Post by Reckinball »

Could someone please help me install this driver. I have the radeon HD3850 video card and the driver that linux mint suggest you use lags very badly and the display properties screen will never appear. After you click display properties the cpu will get very slow in responding.

Using the stock drivers it will not let me use the advance Compiz.

Thank you in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86_64.run

Post by emorrp1 »

I hate to tell you, but that is the driver mint recommends, go to Menu --> Administration --> Hardware Drivers --> Enable
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Just a side note, ATI recently released version 9.6 of their Linux driver. It doesn't help much with the lag when using Firefox. ( okay, maybe it's a little more stable. Might be just my imagination, tho) For now the best choice seems to be the Restricted Drivers included with Mint. I'll have to ask my son if he has the same issues on his Gloria install. He's using an Nvidia Gforce 9800.
Update, just called my son. He says he has no issues with his Nvidia card.
bengan

Post by bengan »

a blind leading a blind :D im a newbee to but i managed to install the driver with the instuctions from ati.....download the install guide from ati driversupdate and go from there
bengan
Husse

Post by Husse »

The lag is a specific problem with the driver in jockey (Hardware Drivers) and at least some Radeon cards (don't know if it affects all)
It has been mentioned in other posts in the forum and as I'm hit too I started experimenting
The Radeon driver is OK in this respect and it's not only, but mainly, in Firefox
bengan

Post by bengan »

husse:::: do you know if i can use the guide here http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6794 to enable extended desktops effects, i cant load that on my computer?
regards bengan
Husse

Post by Husse »

@bengan
That's a massive post - I can't read it through
Make a new topic with much more details and hopefully you'll get an answer
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

george_clan wrote:I have downloaded "ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86.x86_64.run" but I cannot make it run, i double click it but nothing happens.
Please help me I am new to linux. what should I do to see this (http://linux.softpedia.com/progScreensh ... -6719.html) on the screen ?
I believe that is the driver included with Mint Gloria as the available restricted driver. I suggest you just use that one, since it's the same. However, you can install it manually if you really want to. To install the ATI Proprietary Linux driver using the Automatic option, follow these
steps:
1 Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the ATI Proprietary Linux
driver download.
2 Enter the command sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86.x86_64.run to launch the ATI
Proprietary Linux driver installer.
The ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Setup dialog box is displayed.

Full instructions can be read at https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/ ... 5-inst.pdf
bengan

Post by bengan »

sorry about that, it was the first post i was wondering about but i realize now that it is old..
does someone know how to enable desktops effects, when i try to the screen just flickering and after that i get a message that tells me that it cant load desktops ------. everything else is working just fine but i like the desktop effects and i would like to have that working.

my specs intel dual core 3ghz,4gb ram,ati 4670 graphicard with the newest driver 9,6

regards bengan

Return to “Hardware Support”