SOLVED Digital Camera identified but unable to download

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
renners

SOLVED Digital Camera identified but unable to download

Post by renners »

Hello,
When I plug in my digi camera, Mint correctly identifies it as a Canon Powershot A520. However, I am unable to download the photos due to "unable to open folder error -111: invalid filename".

I've tried Googling this error but not getting much joy. Any ideas?

Cheers, Renners

(PS I get the same error on the desktop and in gtKam app)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Digital Camera identified but unable to download photos

Post by DrHu »

Try downloading to /tmp, everyone logged in has access to that directory (folder) location
--then check the folder by right-clicking>properties and see which permissions you have set for the location you were attempting to download to
renners

Post by renners »

Thanks, DrHu, but it's the photo files on the camera that can't be accessed, not a permissions issue on my HD. Sorry if I didnt make that clear.

Cheers, Renners.
renners

Post by renners »

Ok, fixed it!

Found that Canon use a propriety transfer protocol called PTP, and the only thing on Linux that supports this is gphoto2. So installed gphoto2 and gThumb and all is rosy :D

Cheers, Renners
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: SOLVED Digital Camera identified but unable to download

Post by pdc_2 »

our Panasonic Lumix camera is the same; but F-Spot is happy with that; we just select PTP; and digikam is similarly happy; both programmes will download happily; we now use digikam as F-Spot was not happy to show us full frame; Picasso and digikam were happy; (I had previously used F-Spot till we got a new monitor):

gphoto2 is the background programme; it is described in synaptic as "command line client"; we have gphoto2 libraries installed I see; but not gphoto2

Return to “Hardware Support”